Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Oct 16, 2002, 11:44 AM   #1

Default An Accidental Panorama

My wife was shooting some pictures at a conference with no intention of making panoramas. Just to try something, I stitched a couple of them: before cropping it looked like this.

Except for the "Siamese twins" in the foreground, it worked well. The two shots were taken with auto white balance, point-and-shoot exposure, people moved between shots, the camera was moved between shots, no attention paid to perspective or level, ... Just about everything that could be done wrong for a panorama.

This is an illustration of how many things can be done wrong and still be able to produce a panorama. Though it is harder, and there is more likely to be a failure. This could not be done with any of the simple automagical stitching software such as Panorama Factory. Using Panorama Tools (with PTGui as a front-end) then doing adjustments to the masked layers to match exposure and color with final tweaking of exactly where the stitch boundry goes works well.

It took about 15 minutes to stitch and adjust that with PT/PTGui/PS. It would take me much longer to deal with the "Siamese twins" so I left them. I don't thing the photo is good enough to justify the time.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links