Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Jul 10, 2005, 11:25 AM   #31

Depending on the output size and other settings, my results are pretty much the same as yours. It can be pretty time consuming. To save wasted time, I usually do a test run at very small resolution so I can fine tune other settings. Once I'm satisfied, I'll run a full-resolution rendering. Some settings, like messing around with the blending bands and sigma can really slow the process down. Lately I've been trying some manual/auto straightening, which is really handy, and doesn't change the processing time appreciably.

Cheers,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 11:55 AM   #32

Walter

My setup is close to yours with 2.8 mhz. It took just under 30 min to render 77 photos.

I agree with Tom that adjusting the various settings will significantly increase the time and computer resources. I left size at default and used multiband blending and gain compensation and tweeked the alpha and beta when my initial attempt didnt stitch properly. I also did a rough sort of my initial photos so that outlying photos would not be included this reduced my count from 86 down to 77. The output quality was reduced to 50%.

Because I had 4 rows of about 20 pics per row I assumed gain compensation was essential to adjust for changing lighting conditions on such a wide field.. I did not do a render with "no' gain compensation so I have no idea what it would have generated.

Brian
desertcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 5:46 PM   #33

Thanks for the info Brian and Tom. I still can't get over how good a job this program does, and for free!!

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 11:32 PM   #34

Very happy with the program, and I'm not complaining about the price or time it takes! (P4 3.6, 1GB, 50% output - 10 minutes or less - I didn't really time it yet)

I'm still amazed at how it turns ho-hum shots into great (imo) wide-angle compositions.

Sample below is from 43 shots, hand-held (and it's a simple P&S Epson L-500V, 5MP, 35mm fl) with almost 180 degree hz.
Attached Images

core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 11:41 PM   #35

And another with ghosting of foreground object (30 shots), fwiw this was my first stitch, I just went and took shots around without much forethot in terms of overlap, etc. One thing I really like about the program is that it works extremely well with cameras that don't have AE lock, and adjust the levels automatically and blends them. Both final compositions are in the range of 55MP and up @ 100% scaling:-)posted here are cropped from slightly larger originals that have lots of black no-data regions.
Attached Images

Old Jul 11, 2005, 11:51 PM   #36

For comparison, this is full frame of each 5MP shot (re-sized to320 for posting).
Attached Images

Old Jul 11, 2005, 11:55 PM   #37

And the other (thanks for putting up with my run-on posting; but it a great s/w imo)
Attached Images

Old Oct 1, 2005, 8:17 PM   #38

The Autostitch site no longer appears to work - any idea where I can download it?

Thanks...
rogergraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 9:04 AM   #39

rogergraham wrote:
Quote:
The Autostitch site no longer appears to work - any idea where I can download it?

Thanks...
This is a rather new development, as I was on the site yesterday, Oct. 1. It appears that the author's site at UBC is down as well. Hopefully it is a temporary situation.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com

Update... It seems that the .cs (computer science) links for UBC are down at the moment. I'm guessing this will be fixed soon.
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 8:20 AM   #40

How does this program compare to those that use panotools? I normally use autopano sift for generating control points, hugin for lining up the pictures and allowing me to manually add control points or horizontal/vertical guidelines, and adjust for perspective/distortion if I want. I then use enblend to stitch the pano together. I'm currently having some ghosting on my 37MP picture taken with 45 4mp pictures. I am sure it is because the control points weren't the best but I was wondering if anyone had any expereince with the software I use and with autostich and could tell me if it does a better job or not.

It took my computer 17 hours to make the pano with the software I use and I have a 1.7ghz, 640MB ram, P-4 mobile laptop. Perhaps I should download the program and try it? The 45 pics are converted raw files and are about 11MB in size each.
nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote