Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:32 PM   #1
Administrator

Those of you interested in Panoramas may want to check out this software. Users seem to be pretty excited about it's potential.

There is no commercial version yet. The demo appears to be fully functional with no restrictions. It's an auto everything solution.

It defaults to 25% scale, but you can change the output to 100%. The JPEG compression is also a bit high, but they're going towork on thatthat from what I'm gathering.

http://www.autostitch.net/

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2004, 6:24 AM   #2

I tried this demo on a pano of the Grand Canyon that required some user intervention to pull off seamlessly in Panorama Factory, and Autostitch did a perfect job with just the one mouse click. This is about a 150 degree pan, west to east in the harsh light of a low in the sky, late afternoon sun. The original five 1 MB+ pics were stitched and compressed to only 550 KB, so artifacting is evident when zoomed. Hopefully the ability to save as a tiff will be included in the final release.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v9...02004/pano.jpg

Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 6:41 AM   #3
Administrator

derbunk wrote:
Quote:
Hopefully the ability to save as a tiff will be included in the final release.
From what I'm gathering, there are no plans to release a commercial version at this time. Chances are, the technology will be licensed by others, though.

The author has stated that they will be releasing new demo versions as improvements are made, and that they'll be addressing both JPEG Compression and Memory Management.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 1:40 PM   #4

Jim, thanks for the info. I did finally find that in one of the forums that he links to on his site. I ran the same pano again, but at 100% outputthis time, and got a file nearly 1 MB in size.

Lou
Old Dec 29, 2004, 5:27 AM   #5

Jim thanks for posting that link,have downloaded it and works great.:bye:
Raoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 9:13 AM   #6

Thr original version expired on Jan. 1. The new version is available, and it allows for controlling the amount of jpg. compression that is applied.

Lou
Old Jan 14, 2005, 5:25 PM   #7

Hi, I have downloaded the free demo version but can't get it to work,not even test pictures. It keeps telling me I must select two or more pictures but it won't allow me to select any, even when I right click.I have been trying to stitch 4 jpeg pictures as well. What am I doing wrong? Any help greatly appreciated.
cock3tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 5:36 PM   #8

Hold down the Control key while left clicking oneach photo that you want to stitch, then click OK.

Lou
Old Jan 14, 2005, 5:49 PM   #9

Thanks Lou, I did as you suggested and it works perfectly. Thanks again.
cock3tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 8:11 PM   #10

I've tried it several times now. It's not perfect, but I don't have any experience with panoramas, so I'll just say what I saw "wrong" on the program.

I must add that I use AF and AE lock on the pics.

1-It hapenned in one scene that the pics were badly stitched, causing a wierd transition.

2- There seems to be a vertical dark stripe in the junction of the pics. I'll upload the examples later.

Otherwise, it's almost perfect!
ttretas is offline   Reply With Quote