Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Dec 6, 2004, 8:16 AM   #1

Is it possible to create a good cylindrical pano with a fisheye lens using programs such as Panoweaver or Realviz Stitcher? I'm thinking about buying a fisheye lens for my Nikon D70 and I've been told that you can't do cylindrical panos with a fisheye lens. Is this true.

Thanx alot
Sam
sgee34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2004, 3:37 PM   #2

I don't know either of those programs, but you are will have serious projection distortion at the top and bottom if you use the entire image in a flat image. The solution is to simply crop off the bits that are disturbingly distorted. Or to use a viewer that restricts the amount that can be seen at any time.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:03 AM   #3

There is a solution if you usea MacIntosh computer, but to my knowledge not a good one if you use a Windows based computer.

The product is called "DeFish". The problem is that processes which can be used to correct fisheye distortion and make the images amenable for use in panos is owned and zealously guarded by a powerful company which loves to litigate. They have been largely responsible for minimizing the efficacy of PanoTools.....

This product gets around the issues:

http://www.themaestro.net/DSP/Remap/

And info for Windows information:

http://www.razziphoto.com/archives/000023.phpLin

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 3:00 AM   #4

sgee34 wrote:
Quote:
Is it possible to create a good cylindrical pano with a fisheye lens....
I always thought a fisheye lens was an attempt to do a panorama in one shot (or very few shots),albeit with rather severe distortion.

Surely there's a trade-off here: If you want minimum distortion you'll use a very large number of shots at a long focal length, (see the old threads here about Gigapixel images) and if you want a minimum number of frames you'll use a short focal length and put up with the distortion and stitching difficulties.

BTW, how do folk display printed cylindrical pano shots? I've had acceptable results using the inside or the outside of a biscuit tin, but generally they're not big enough.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 7:11 AM   #5

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
... Surely there's a trade-off here: If you want minimum distortion you'll use a very large number of shots at a long focal length, (see the old threads here about Gigapixel images) and if you want a minimum number of frames you'll use a short focal length and put up with the distortion and stitching difficulties. ...
Though there is distortion when using a very wide lens, and there might be a lens problem, the root issue is projection distortion. Any time a print is made that is much wider than our eye's normal field of view, there will be projection distortion. The solution is to limit the field of view by cropping or with a viewer. Using a longer lens will increase the Mp of the final image, but if it covers the same field of view, it will have the same projection distortion as one shot with fewer "frames" using a wide lens.

Lin is right: the limit on stitching with fish-eye is legal, not technical. Very dubious legality to these non lawerish eyes. Type "IPIX lawsuit" (w/o quotes) into Google and take a look at some of the 2,000+ hits.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote