Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old May 23, 2005, 7:08 PM   #1

Ok, I've put it off long enough... Here are my best results to date. It took awhile to find settings that gave both quality and quantity without taking too long to process.

Comments are welcome.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Attached Images

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2005, 8:08 PM   #2

Nice photo.
Tom Overton wrote:
Quote:
... Comments are welcome.
I'll take you seriously on that.

The building on the right lean to the center by about 0.9 degrees while the ones on the left lean to the center by about 0.6 degrees. Small, but noticable. At the same time, the shoreline is level - but I don't know if that is really the case with that view. Likely you had your camera pointed slightly upwards and the software didn't quite take that into account.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 8:52 PM   #3

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
The building on the right lean to the center by about 0.9 degrees while the ones on the left lean to the center by about 0.6 degrees. Small, but noticable. At the same time, the shoreline is level - but I don't know if that is really the case with that view. Likely you had your camera pointed slightly upwards and the software didn't quite take that into account.
Thanks, Bill. Yeah, I noticed the lean, but thought I could slip it past... :roll:There are still a couple of things that I haven't worked out yet with this program. Autostitch does do a good job of pulling detail from the available shots, but doesn't always use the best of the images. (Autostitch doesn't report how many of the available images were used.)Viewed at full res, some areas of the finished pano are much clearer than others. I suspect there are some settings I could use to refine the process but it's not very intuitive at this stage. Matt Brown hints that he may be changing that when/if he gets around to updating the code.

Thanks for the comments.

Old May 26, 2005, 10:57 PM   #4

I guess I'm not as discriminating as Bill because I don't really find the tilt that distracting. What it looks like on my monitor is that the GM building side doesn't seem as sharp (at least not as sharp as the others in the middle).
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 11:34 PM   #5

srvsd wrote:
Quote:
What it looks like on my monitor is that the GM building side doesn't seem as sharp (at least not as sharp as the others in the middle).
I agree. The irony is that there were a lot of good, clear shots loaded into Autostitch; they just weren't used consistently. When viewed at full resolution, you can clearly see that some parts of the GM Building are nice and sharp, with lots of detail, while others seem soft and muddy. I'm not blaming the program for a minute. Autostitch does a far better job than I can do by hand. (believe me, I've tried) I just think I need a little more experience at manipulating the program's matching and blending settings.

Thanks for looking,

Old Jun 18, 2005, 1:59 PM   #6

Tom

I think its an excellent panorama which may even have some marketing potential. Good job.

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 2:27 PM   #7

Nice panorama, i've been playing with panos for a while now, and i found that the best program for stiching automatically is Anything 3d sticher

http://www.anything3d.com/product/so...her/index.php3

its not free, but it does a hell of a job, in my opinion better than autostich.

give it a try on your panorama.

Shanti Castillo G.
Shanti is offline   Reply With Quote