Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old May 30, 2005, 8:24 PM   #1

This weekend I printed a 16 foot panorama on my Epson R1800. I could not print it as a single page so I used Qimage to tile it across two pages. I'm attaching a photo of it on my sofa.

Ken Walker
Attached Images

kenww is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2005, 10:15 PM   #2

WOW! I'm afraid I'd have to sell my car to pay for the ink on a shot like that. Give us more details.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2005, 9:26 AM   #3

The image is a 360 degree panorama of San Francisco Bay taken from the highest point on Angel Island. The first outward fold from the left shows Yerba Buena and Treasure Islands betwen Oakland and San Francisco. The next inward folds shows the end of Alcatras with some of San Francisco in the background. At the left edge of the next outward fold you can just make out the northern tower of the Golden Gate Bridge; the tower is about an inch high in the actual print.

The panoram was constructed from 13 photos taken with a Canon D60 on a tripod. The setting were 1/60 sec, F/13, ISO 100, lens set to 30mm. I stitched them using PTGui (Panorama Tools) to warp the images into 13 layers, each in its own file (Photoshop balked at reading them from a single file). I then spent hours in Photoshop blending the sky at image boundries before merging each pair of layers. The image before adding the boarder is 35389x2048 pixels.

I printed the picture at 186 pixels per inch on a 13 inch wide role of Epson Premium Glossy paper. Running under Windows XP on a 866 Mhz processor with 384 Meg of Ram, it took Qimage more than an hour to render the print and send it to the printer. It then to about an hour to print. The Printer Properties were set to roll, banner mode (no gaps between pages), boarderless, premium glossy photo paper, photo quality, user-defed 12.95 inches by 96 inches, gloss, high speed, landscape. Qimage was set to use "Original/embedded size" and I had set the image size to what I wanted in Photoshop. There is no indication in the print of where the two 8 foot logical pages come together.

I expected the ink usage to me more than it was. I installed all new cartriges before starting. According to the status montior, it used almost 1/2 a cartridge of gloss optimizer, about 1/4 a cartridge each of magenta and cyan, less than 1/8 a cartridge of yellow, a tiny bit of blue, and no appreciable amount of black or red. (If you do a small print now and then, the real cost of the printer seems to be in ink used for cleaning cycles; I'm almost afraid to turn it on if I don't have much to print.)

I had a few minor problems. Dispite doing an auto cleaning cycle before printing, a nozzle appeared to be clogged for a little while at the start of the printing. You can only see the problem if you look at a section of the lower boarder near the left side. The green shows some banding, but it is not too bad and the problem soon goes away. The other two problems will be hidden by a frame (if I manage to get one built). There is a white gap along most of the lower edge. I think this occured because the paper didn't feed quite squarely and it moved as it straigtened out. The other problem occured when I cut the paper. It twisted as I cut it an the right end is somewhat messed up but only by about 1/4 inch; maybe I need to invest in a roll-type cutter.

Is that enough detail?

Ken Walker
Old Jun 2, 2005, 9:30 AM   #4

Very Impressive
tim da tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 7:15 PM   #5

kenww wrote:
Quote:
Is that enough detail?

Ken Walker
Um... Yes :-).

Thanks.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 3:09 AM   #6

Ken; I've got an R1800 and have some problems. Your thread suggests that the R1800 prints on A3+ roll (panoramic) paper. Did you actually use this for your print? If so, did you use the roll paper slot? My problem is that the roll paper slot on my recently purchased version is blocked very slightly on the right by the paper guide. Even if I remove this guide the actual Epson A3+ roll paper is approx 3mm too wide for the slot. Can you let me know how you could get a bit of A3+ paper in the roll paper feed, please? I have measured the paper in desperation, and it is indeed 329mm, but the (unguided) roll slot is c326mm!

Thanks
quayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 12:13 AM   #7

quayley wrote:
Quote:
Did you actually use this for your print? If so, did you use the roll paper slot? My problem is that the roll paper slot on my recently purchased version is blocked very slightly on the right by the paper guide. Even if I remove this guide the actual Epson A3+ roll paper is approx 3mm too wide for the slot. Can you let me know how you could get a bit of A3+ paper in the roll paper feed, please? I have measured the paper in desperation, and it is indeed 329mm, but the (unguided) roll slot is c326mm!

Thanks
Ignore the roll paper symbol on the back of the printer and put the paper all the way down under the white rollers. There is a caution note that you have to read carefully on page 24 of the manual; if you do what seems obvious it doesn't work.

Ken
Old Jun 7, 2005, 4:23 AM   #8

Thank you so much, Ken. Worked perfectly first time. Maybe I shouldn't be so blinkered! Thanks again
quayley is offline   Reply With Quote