Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Aug 4, 2005, 12:03 PM   #1

This is my first attempt and I've been running into a problem that seems pretty common, my picture has creases in it. The pictures lined up suprisingly well(wasn't using a tripod) so I'm really just concerned with blending the creases out. I've downloaded a program called Xblend (because I have a Mac) but it wouldn't load up. Does anyone have any sugestions. Should I start from scratch on a new program? Even a tip for touching it up in photo shop would be helpful i.e. dodging, burning.¬*¬*Thanks for any help! -JDP.S.¬* I'm using P.S. elements2 at the moment.
JDoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2005, 12:51 PM   #2

The creases you are getting sound like differences in exposure or focus between the shots. You should pre-meter and focus on the part of the panorama that you think best represents the whole image from a focus and exposure standpoint. Then shoot all frames at that exposure and focus.

I think all cameras but Panasonic fix the focus and exposure with the first shot in panorama mode. If you have P&S Panasonic or a camera without manual controls or a panorama mode, the continuous shooting mode where you just hold the shutter down usually fixes the focus and exposure with the first shot. You can use pre-focus/exposure with the continuous mode if the first shot of the panorama isn't representative of the overall image in your view. I have a couple of cameras that continuous shooting is the easiest way to get a properly exposed panorama.

If you shoot water with ripples or waves they will give a crease as you describe even with the exposure and focus locked. The waves are in a different position for each shot and it will show. The only option there is to use the clone and smudge tool to combine the images.

There are sophisticated programs that will even out the exposures but not the focus. They usually take a while to process an image and I personally much prefer to take the panorama right in the first place rather than rely on them. I'm not familiar with which programs work on a Mac.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 3:21 PM   #3

Thanks Slipe.I definatly plan on following up on those tip in the future, unfortunatly, this panorama is¬* from my trip to Ireland. Won't get another chance to go back so I'm going to continue to try to improve with the computer.
JDoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 7:16 PM   #4

Put up a copy of one of your stitched photos so we can see what you mean by "creases". Could be exposure differences as Slipe noted - take a look at the EXIF data for the photos to figure if that is the problem. As slipe also noted, it could be things in motion between shots. Again, look at the EXIF data to see how much time you took between shots.

Could also be parallax - did you move between shots? Are you REALLY sure you didn't move? Not even a couple of inches?

There are solutions to those problems, some involving a fair amount of work, and perhaps a bit of artistic license with the clone brush as the last resort.

One of the nice things about digital is that you can try all kinds of things and not have to worry about scratching your negative. Do some reading, ask some questions, try things out, and you will find a way to deal with the problem.

An editingtip: figure out how to use layers. Esp adjustment layers.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 10:34 PM   #5

I agree that posting the "seams" will allow others to see what the issue is. I've had luck with the clone stamp tool (I use PSE 2 on a Mac too). Sometimes differences in color due to exposure differences can be handled by adjusting color levels to make the colors (of the sky for instance) closer to each other in the area where there is overlap. Have both photos open and side-by-side. Adjust until the colors "match" as closely as possible. Then select the "advanced blending" option in the side part of the window.

If it isn't the exposure, it may be due to overlap from lens distortion. I've had some luck cropping photos to help even out the overlap as well.

srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote