Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Jan 20, 2003, 8:12 PM   #1

Default New Photoshop Elements: Much improved stitcher.

Hi...

I read about improvements in Photomerge in the PS Elements v.2. Since CompUSA is giving a $30 rebate, and Adobe is giving a $30 upgrade rebate (13 different programs will qualify!), I decided to upgrade.

The previous version was clunky, kludgy, and didn't like to make big files.

The new one works quite well automatically, and has stitched some problematic sequences as well as Pano Tools, with only a minimum of manual manipulation. It also figures out if you have a vertical or horizontal pano, and it is easy to change the vanishing point.

It is now #1 for the first try on my next panos. It also will take 16-bit Tiffs. It has choice of "normal", "perspective" and "perspective with cylindrical" options, and you can see the differences immediately.

All processing is in RAM now, and is faster. I turned out a 171mb file!

I hope that PS8 will include this great pano program.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2003, 7:08 AM   #2

Default Re: New Photoshop Elements: Much improved stitcher.

I wish software folks could standardize their terminology, though I think MicroSoft is the only company really capable of doing that. sigh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK
... and it is easy to change the vanishing point.
I can't visualize a vanishing point in a 360 degree pano. Or is this a feature restricted to rectilinear projections?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK
... It has choice of "normal", "perspective" and "perspective with cylindrical" options, and you can see the differences immediately.
Any idea how those relate to Panorama Tools "cylindrical", "equirectangular", and "rectilinear" projection choices?
Old Jan 25, 2003, 7:12 AM   #3

Hi, Bill.

The Vanishing point in Photoshop Elements simply selects the image from which the others will be altered according to their perspective. This has a cool effect on vertical panos when you select the highest image. I don't think in a 360 it would make much difference, but I don't know.

The "perspective" and "Cylindrical" settings do affect the image the way the projection choices in Pano Tools do, but they are interactive, and also you can get just about instant feedback to see the changes.

By the way, I fed 15 fullsize D60 16bit Tiffs into the program yesterday, and with no problems it gave me a 120MB file!!!!

Different question for you , Bill:

What filter in Photoshop did you use to change your avatar? I looked under Filters >Artistic>Time Machine, but couldn't find one...
:P
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote