Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Nov 20, 2005, 5:00 PM   #11

Thanks for the hint Slipe,

I already tried the pano setting and the Camedia panorama stitcher but mostly I don't use the software. The pano mode on the cam is nice for the controls you see and the constant exposure and stuff, yes. Unfortunately I just fired away this time ... now I have to live with that.

@All

I think I got it. When I got my PSP9 copy I found a new function "automatic image enhancement" and it worked well and in the direction I wanted the picture to be so I used it to process the single images. I think this little bugger spoiled my fun since it did all these optimisations on the single images and these were too drastic so Autostitch couldn't correct everything. Silly me - ofc I did the same all the time. Same procedure for every pic... but the program wasn't :roll:

It was mostly your hints that the pictures must have been processed different (which I denied on first hand) which pointed me in the right direction. I feel that I am doing much better now, haven't got the whole pano ready, but so far it looks very promising, see for yourself:

This is without using the automatic image enhancer function, basically some contrast adjustments of the sky and the foreground to bring out the details that were too much in the shadows at the original picture. Some light saturation improvement (you know, I want to blow it up to about 200x50, so a little color won't hurt). USM for fog reduction and a bit sharpening, first sharpening done with deconvolution. Not done with the levels at the center rock for example and the pixel work, but these are 8 or 9 images of 16 and the sky still looks much better- what do you say?

Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 2:38 AM   #12

OK,
here is the final result and another question:

- every image adjustment done manually
- stitched with Autostitch
- removed some "stitch-ghosts" manually
- filled in some sky and landscape because I didn't want to loose too much of the picture due to cropping

Some minor tweaks left, then I will order the print (can hardly wait tbh). Sky problems sorted (ok - it's not perfect, but much better than before. Saturation is on the strong side but it fit's the poster/painting theme and should look decorative that way).

Many thanks to all that helped!

NOW FOR THE QUESTION. How thick would you say the border should be? Color choices: black or white - tried others and it just didn't fit. Is there a general rule of thumb like 2% of the horizontal or vertical size of the pic? Or a good fixed value like 10cm?

Please remember I want to blow it up to about 200x50cm and never did a pic that big before, sorry for the silly question but all the posters I have are without a border but I have one panoramic photo which has a relative big border.

Any ideas for me?

Regards,
Th.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 8:04 AM   #13

that border looks fine to me, u need a larger border than u think as itll sit behind a mount

deepending on cost of print and the likely hood of u wanting more it may be worth hunting down a epson photo 900, thats one of my printers what takes the paper on a roll.

the rolls of paper cost me about £11 and are 8 meters long, results are very very good

the roll is a4 width and the epson software lets u print to what ever length it will be at a4 width

out of intrest what price have u had for a print doing??

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:58 AM   #14

One answer, one suggestion.

Borders - I'm new to panoramas, but am working on a series of 1:10 ratio images shot of different cities and towns, different times of day and year. In test printing at all different sizes, I found that you don't really need too much border - but no border is better than too little. I have a wall in my studio with a bunch of the test prints on them, and the prints on paper with a 17 inch height look best with two inches top and bottom of the image. (actually 2 1/2 on the bottom, 1 1/2 on top...) On the ends, I put 4 inches each end.

The other boogeyman of panoramas is light falloff on the edge of lenses. I mention it because you say you were shooting at the wide end of your zoom, and light falloff is worse at wide ends of zooms. Also worse generally at widest and narrowest apertures, but that depends on individual lenses. Worse with zooms than with non-zooms, generally. And, the ghosts at the edges of stitches are worse with wide angles, which tend to have a bit of image bending at the edges, than with mid-range or telephoto lenses. You can put everything on manual and have exactly the same exposure, white balance, etc, and still get blend issues because of this.

As a result, I try to get far enough away from a subject that I can use something other than a very wide angle lens, and I stop down some, but not totally. My best results have been shooting with an 85mm prime lens; an 80-200 zoom at around 90mm setting; a 50mm prime lens, all on a d2x. Shots done with my favorite wide angle zoom (17-35mm) make the lens look way worse than it is, retouching of all sorts everywhere. It's a pain to find a shooting point far enough away to get out of the wide angle range, but when I can do it, I find I have almost zero post-processing touchup using Photoshop CS2 stitching.

I know what you mean about out of memory errors. I am shooting 12mp images, whenever I can with the camera vertical, so sometimes I have 24 images to stitch together to get my horizontal, 300mb finished files. Photoshop CS2 has yet to blow up on me when stitching those together. (I do convert them to 8bit color beforehand, though, out of fear that it MAY blow up if I do stitches that big at 16 bit.) Every other program I've tried has either blown up with memory errors, or produced incredibly out of order results, which is probably a symptom of out of memory. CS2 isn't the best, but it's all I've got...
ednaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 9:40 AM   #15

Little update.

I had two of the panos printed and gave them away as christmas presents with BIG success. I settled on 180x45cm including the white border (4:1 ratio) and was pleased with the result. Very nice looking pictures for viewing distances up from 1,50m or so - not that I wouldn't had lots of detail in the picture, but 180cm wide is something where you have to step back a bit to see everything

@Reanimator
The panos were printed by a company called printbig (www.printbig.de) and with the material, ink and an antiglare/protect layer I ended up with about 50 EUR for one (about USD 59 or so) - a fair price to my mind.

Prints were very saturated compared with my Canon i560 test prints - so I have to learn with color profiles or just get a feeling for it for the next prints.

The company itself was very responsive and helpful (tested about 6-8 others for prices and pre-print support and such and printbig was big winner).

What do you say? This a good price? I think yes.

So again many thanks to all that helped!
Old Feb 16, 2006, 12:25 PM   #16

I don't find your final effort oversaturated. The uncropped one before it was a little overdone IMO, but the final shot is good.

If the automatic image enhancement in PSP processed the individual images so they can be stitched without lines it is better than anything I've found in Photoshop.

Even with 2 Gigs of RAM Photoshop would probably eventually go to virtual memory processing the whole panorama at once – especially if you used layers. I would still do it all at once and just surf while it did long processes.

I agree the Oly software is useless except for panoramas. But it did a good job for that and it requires little overlap. It stitches almost instantly because it isn't making exposure adjustments. And the panoramas are numbered in order so you just drag them in numbered order into the box. My C50 wouldn't have done that panorama in panorama mode though because it is limited to 8 shots. I had to use manual for 360s.

I'm curious about your "and with the material, ink and an antiglare/protect layer….." Was it printed on an inkjet?

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 6:11 AM   #17

@Slipe
They have different printers of all kinds for all the various purposes but in my case yes - the technology is inkjet printing. They speak of "6-color LFP-systems" whatever that means.

1200x600dpi resolution prints, max. 150cm wide and almost as long as you want.

To give you an idea on materials and stuff head to http://www.printbig.de/index.php?the...mit=kalkulator and have a look at the cost calculator. You can see 2 choices of ink, lots of paper/foil/cloth choices to print on, can choose different coatings and even back planes incl suspension plates for the pics.

Sorry, am in a hurry, can't translate all the things from german into english for you, in case you need translation, dict.leo.org is a nice site for that.

Cheers