Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Dec 5, 2005, 6:30 AM   #1

Just a question for the panorama wiz kids amongst us.
When shooting a pano do you shoot in (1) portrait or (2) Landscape.
Thanks.
russellsnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2005, 6:44 AM   #2

Like just about every other question in photography the answer is, "It depends". Most often I shoot in portrait orientaion to increase the vertical field of view, but if the forground and the skyare uninteresting, I will shoot in landscape to minimize the number of shots needed.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:35 AM   #3

russellsnr2 wrote:
Quote:
Just a question for the panorama wiz kids amongst us.
When shooting a pano do you shoot in (1) portrait or (2) Landscape.
Thanks.
First thing.....I am going to make a terrible assumption that you are referring to camera setting MODE. Right?? If not, this response will make no sense.....LOL.

I use the PROGRAM mode, (I don't like the pano assist mode on camera's at all, since they tend to reduce image size). I always take my panos from left to right hold the camera horizontal (which could be your original question's answer) and lock exposure settings on the first image. Then retake each image overlapping at least 10% and sometimes much more depending on where I can find good overlapping points.

Then I stitch the images using the new free "autostitch" program, or Canon's Photostitch software. I rarely, if ever use Photomerge from Photoshop. Just don't like Photomerge's results.

Hope that is what you were looking for.

I have done numerous panos, of which you can see some of them here:
www.pbase.com/brw_2909

I also like to do some with a PS Action called "PoP" which was created by Mike Finn. It really adds a wonderful painting effect.

Brian Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 12:09 PM   #4

Hi, Thank you both for the replies.

Brian, maybe should have put it better in so far as I was refering to the position of the camera on the tripod/pano mount.

Looked at your suggested site, very impresive, take it you are a sports (Baseball) fan.

Only ever been to one baseball game Atlanta Braves game they gave some kind of pretend hatchet to wave around.

Did have a hotdog though mmmmmmmmmmmmm FOOD.
russellsnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 1:48 PM   #5

russellsnr2 wrote:
Quote:
Hi, Thank you both for the replies.

Brian, maybe should have put it better in so far as I was refering to the position of the camera on the tripod/pano mount.

Looked at your suggested site, very impresive, take it you are a sports (Baseball) fan.

Only ever been to one baseball game Atlanta Braves game they gave some kind of pretend hatchet to wave around.

Did have a hotdog though mmmmmmmmmmmmm FOOD.
Yeah, I thought that might be the case as far as the position...that is why I stated I was assuming...LOL. Course you know what happens when one ass-u-me's....LOL

Anyway, at least you got your answer.

If you could only attend one baseball game, you picked the wrong place...LOL As you can probably tell, I am a big St. Louis Fan. Go Cardinals.

And yes, I love doing pano's also, especially of ballparks. Soooo much fun to do, but the detail gets a little tricky sometimes simply because of all of the detail and merging that goes on with pano's. Can be trying at times.

Anyway. If you have anymore Q's, don't hesistate to ask.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 1:51 PM   #6

VERY COOOLLLL

I just noticed something here that I had never noticed before.

Notice in my last reply I typed the word assume with hyphens between the word. Yes, I actually type assumes with the (-) in between. It converted it...............LOL to bottoms-u-me instead of the bad word. I did not mean to type a bad word, but I guess the program here catches that........

That is cool