Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Mar 5, 2003, 1:59 AM   #1

Default Help with Printing

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right place but I need some help. I have a Canon 9000 Inkjet and I am printing scanned family photos for the first time. I wonder how to stitch photos together or print bigger than the area scanned? I have read the manual but I am still having trouble? Am I an educated woman or not? I have a tough time with this.

Thank you!
sthenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2003, 8:42 AM   #2

That isn't really a printing issue - other than getting your final stitched image's aspect ratio to match a kind of paper your pritner can use. For general information panoramic Panoguide (http://www.panoguide.com/) is probably the best starting point even though it is getting out-of-date.

But I think what you are trying to do is create a collage. If your photo editor supports layers, that is the best/easiest way to do it once you have climbed the learning curve.

If you are trying to print larger than the original of your scanned image, keep in mind that any problems (scan lines, dust, ...) will also be magnified. It is real unlikely that you will be able to print much larger than the orginal without doing a lot of editing..
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2003, 12:58 PM   #3

Default Printing

Thank you, so you mean that if I have a small photo and I scan it into my computer, I can only print that size? A friend had a poster size printed by Kinkos from an old family photograph. How did they blow it up or is this comparing apples to oranges? I have some tiny old family photos that I wanted to print and frame.

Thank you.
Julie
sthenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2003, 3:42 PM   #4

Default Re: Printing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthenri
Thank you, so you mean that if I have a small photo and I scan it into my computer, I can only print that size? A friend had a poster size printed by Kinkos from an old family photograph. How did they blow it up or is this comparing apples to oranges? I have some tiny old family photos that I wanted to print and frame.
Sometimes you will get reasonable results with that kind of enlargement, but don't count on it. It is more likely to work for family photos than many others because people will be looking at the content of the picture and not at any technical flaws.

The only real way to find out is to try it. You don't have to get a big print - just upsize the photo for a large print, then crop a portion that works with your printer, e.g., 4x6". In this case, pick one of the faces or the eyes if the whole face is to big. Just keep in mind that you will look at the final result at a further distance than you will normally look at a 4x6" print.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote