Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Mar 12, 2003, 6:54 PM   #1

Default New version of PTGUI

I just got an email from the PTGUI people. The new version, 2.0 has a number of nice improvements in the way that control points and other details are dealt with, and a wizzard that takes the guiesswork out of some of the settings, for newbies.

There is also a slightly updated Panroama Tools that I think is tailored to work and install more easily.

For those of you not aware of these two tools, they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, and just about the most flexible stitching software you can get at any price. Pano Tools is free, and PTGUI is shareware with a very reasonable registration fee. PTGUI is a graphics front end for Panorama Tools that makes pano work a zillion times easier.

If you do panos and don't know these programs, you should check them out. If you do, you'll probably want to download the new version of PTGUI, free if you have a registered version.

http://www.ptgui.com/download/
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2003, 6:51 AM   #2

Let us know how the upgrade instalation goes. I wonder how putting up a different version of Panorama Tools for use with PTGui will effect the PT PS plugins.

I agree that Panorama Tools belongs in everyone's toolbox, though I am not sure if I would use Joost Nieuwenhuijse's PTGui or Max Lyon's PTAssembler as the front end. Having two very good PT graphic front-ends for the PC (there is one for the Mac as well) does show how powerfull it is.

No one would put up with the difficulty (even with a gui front end) of using PT unless it was powerfull. And not just for stitching panoramas - see Philo's tutorial on lens and perspective distortion (http://www.philohome.com/barrelpers/barrelpers.htm) for the slickest trick I know of.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote