Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:53 PM   #1

I've been playing with some image panorama stitching programs (Autostitch, PTGui, Photomerge) lately and thought I would test them out with a really tough set of 6 images (3 wide by 2 high) I took yesterday of a sunset at my home in Canberra.

Given the lack of potential matching points in the large areas of sky, no program got even close to stitching all the images in auto mode. But with a little manual help (ie: doing a manual join of a couple of the images in PS first) it was amazing how well the freebie Autostitch software performed.

To get similar results with PTGui I had to muck around for ages with setting lots of manual control points between images. And IMO, the blending abilities of Photomerge in the sky were pretty ordinary.

Ollie
Attached Images

Ollie@Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2006, 3:25 AM   #2

Nice image. If you used a tripod, then stitching with PTGui should not be difficult. Four of the images should bestraightforward to align. You could then make use of the fact that the pitch and roll settings for the all the images in a row will be the same. Aligning the top two images on the left would therefore require adjustment of yaw only. A single control point would be sufficient at each seam, or you could probably do it accurately enough in the panorama editor window. But handheld images would certainly be more difficult.
panostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 4:01 AM   #3

Ollie I am using AutoPano Pro which uses the autostitch algorithms. I have found it is very good with some of my 'tough' panos but at this stage it cannot allow you to manually set control points. You can download a free demo (watermarked) from http://www.autopano.net/download.

It costs 99 euros.
bilzmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 4:41 PM   #4

Bilzmale

Autopano seems a very good one, though I ve used Canon photostitch, Arc Soft Panorama Maker 3, Autostitch and PTAssembler.

Unfortunately these versions (1.0.0 - 1.2) don't work with Windows 98SE ( Shell32.dll error which doesn't disappear updating this library version to the ver. 4.72.3812.600 )

Narmer
http://digilander.libero.it/peribsen/indice.htm
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote