Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Mar 24, 2006, 12:28 AM   #1

Hi,

I stitched 4 pictures to get this pano, but now i don't know how to print it. in photoshop CS2 when i resize the image... to 12*18 the picture looks messed up. Any suggestions or where i could get this printed as is?

thanks,

nv

Attached Images

nv1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:30 AM   #2

Some Kinkos, Pip Printing places, some blueprint places, http://www.t-square.com

I'm sure there are numerous online services thatprint large format. Super high quality large format printing is called Giclee Printing. You may want to Google that term.
MrGaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 11:01 AM   #3

i have an epson printer that prints from a roll so do mine that way, if can can track down a supplier for paper on a roll some printers let u print custom sizes, just tell it how long to print and how wide and away you go

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"id crop the image to loose some of the water also.....it would look better.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"on looking at the image full size the sky is very pixelated also......dunno why that is unless u have blown it up past its limits???
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 8:34 PM   #4

nv1983 wrote:
Quote:
...when i resize the image... to 12*18 the picture looks messed up....
The image you posted is 6000x1051 pixels, or it has an aspect ratio of about 6:1. If you resized it to 18x12, you have compressed the horizontal by a factor of four. If you want it 12" tall, you want it 72" wide - not 18".
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 8:34 PM   #5

oops - got a double post.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:31 AM   #6

How big do you want it? There is a little dead space you could trim off the sides as well. You are NOT limited in your printing options. Figure out the height you want it to be...that will help you decide. Plain and simple way to do it, is find a print size large enough to accomodate your image and copy and paste it into it. Also, if you try to stay at or under a 4:1 ratio, you'll be able to deliver more pleasing results.
For example, I've printed pano's many times and what I would do is have a print made that was 44 x 66 with two images on it. Each image was 20 x 64 and I created an file that was 44 x 66 and copy and pasted the two images into that file utilizing most of the printing area. And yes, Giclee is the way to go. Hope this helps.
Best of luck!
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 7:48 PM   #7

SlapNTickleJr wrote:
Quote:
... Also, if you try to stay at or under a 4:1 ratio, you'll be able to deliver more pleasing results. ...
I can imagine arguments about what aspect ratio is the most pleasing :P, but leaving that aside, he is dealing with an image with an aspect ratio of 6:1. If he wants it at 4:1, he should crop off 1/3 of the horizontal span. Not change the aspect ratio by resizing - which is what I think he was refering to in the original post.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:33 PM   #8

Hi,
Thank you all for your replies. I was wondering if printing with an aspect ratio of 6:1 be done. I will try to find a place around here which does Giclee printing.
thank you so much again,
nv
nv1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:00 AM   #9

nv1983 wrote:
Quote:
...I will try to find a place around here which does Giclee printing. ...
When you recover from finding out the price of doing that, take a look at the places that print posters. Just put several panos side-by-side in the image you give them and cut it after you get it. As an example,a 30x48 poster can have five panos each 6x48"

If you, or a friend/wife/sister/(other sexist relationship), does any sewing get your own rotory cutter (less than $10) and borrow their cuttingboard and wide transparent ruler. They will show you how to use it. Don't know if it is true, but rumor is that cutting paper ruins the cutter for cloth.

Old May 2, 2006, 10:42 AM   #10

I haven't seen the results yet but winkflash.com offer Glicee prints fairly cheep (cut the prices from the website):

11.25 x 14.25 $4.95 each
12 x 16 $5.95 each
16 x 20 $7.95 each
16 x 24 $9.95 each
18 x 24 $11.95 each
24 x 36 $19.95 each
34 x 44 $34.95 each
44 x 66 $69.95 each [img]/images/spacer.gif[/img] [img]/images/spacer.gif[/img] [img]/images/spacer.gif[/img] [img]/images/spacer.gif[/img]

Shipping is $3.99 first poster, 99ยข each additional

They don't mention specifics though about the type of Glicee other than saying "premium semi-matte"

I do plan to use them for som of my panoramics such as 11.75x36" prints.
nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote