Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Mar 28, 2006, 8:01 AM   #1

If I want to switch from using two fisheye shots, three or more, how do I know what kind of lens I need? Is there a website around with this info?

Thanks
MrGaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2006, 9:13 AM   #2

Sorry, I've really no idea what you want to know. Perhaps you could expand on your question a little.
panostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 8:03 PM   #3

I'd start out by using your fisheye. By shooting three shots instead of two, you will crop off the edges which should at least reduce the problem you are having. If you use a good stitching tool (Panorama Tools with one of the GUI front-ends), lens distortion can be adjusted at the same time futher reducing problems. In effect, PTLens is a part of Panorama Tools. A bit of manual work in PhotoShop putting the stitch lines into an inconspicuous part of the picture will mean further improvement.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:41 AM   #4

panostar wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, I've really no idea what you want to know. Perhaps you could expand on your question a little.
I'm using a Nikon FC-E9 which can reduce the focal length of the camera's lens to x0.2. It shoots a 183° angle on my Nikon CP5700. If were to shoot more than two photos which lens is most appropriate?
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:46 AM   #5

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
I'd start out by using your fisheye. By shooting three shots instead of two, you will crop off the edges which should at least reduce the problem you are having. If you use a good stitching tool (Panorama Tools with one of the GUI front-ends), lens distortion can be adjusted at the same time futher reducing problems. In effect, PTLens is a part of Panorama Tools. A bit of manual work in PhotoShop putting the stitch lines into an inconspicuous part of the picture will mean further improvement.

I should have continued my last post as you say.

It sounds like I should try some different software first and then worry about this.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 2:31 PM   #6

Bill's suggestion is a good one. PTGui together with Panorama Tools will stitch the three images ok. I think another option would be to zoom into the image so that the image circle just fits vertically into a frame in portrait orientation (with the sides of the image circle cut off). You then need 4 images to cover the full 360x180 view. The advantage is that you should get a higher resolution stitched image (more pixels). There's a set of templates for PTGui that you may find useful at this page:

http://www.philohome.com/ptgui/ptgui.htm

Old Mar 29, 2006, 6:48 PM   #7

MrGaric wrote:
Quote:
... It sounds like I should try some different software first and then worry about this.
Always glad to see someone getting rid of IPIX, but they might be a somewhat different company now. Their stock price is down near zero so who knows how long they will exist.

Philo's site is well worth looking at. Nothing recent about panos, but good timeless stuff.

Panorama tools, even with one of the graphic front ends, is not easy to learn. Its powermakes the effort worthwhile. Ease of learning and real power never seem to come together in the same package.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 6:34 AM   #8

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
MrGaric wrote:
Quote:
... It sounds like I should try some different software first and then worry about this.
Always glad to see someone getting rid of IPIX, but they might be a somewhat different company now. Their stock price is down near zero so who knows how long they will exist.

Philo's site is well worth looking at. Nothing recent about panos, but good timeless stuff.

Panorama tools, even with one of the graphic front ends, is not easy to learn. Its powermakes the effort worthwhile. Ease of learning and real power never seem to come together in the same package.

Ipix has been a good introduction for me. They put everything in a package that insures your not wasting your company's money on incompatable stuff.I don't like resubscribing to their software, but it's easy to use and fast. I don't have time for anything that requires hours of adjustments. I'm shooting for commercial purposes and high quality is good, but exhibit quality isn't necessary. I just want to get rid of this vignetteing before someone thinks there is a big blue streak across some upholstery that is just the vingetteing. The main reason I'm considering getting away from Ipix is that they are so focused on the two shot situation and based largely upon your advice I think I need to get away from that. I wouldn't have used them if they still charged for usage of shots, but they haven't done that in a long time.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:51 AM   #9

For an easy solution, try PanoWeaver from www.easypano.com. It's available on free trial and they include sample sets of fisheye images that you can use.