Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old May 25, 2006, 10:08 AM   #1

Over the years I have seen several good panorama stitching programs show up, some free, some shareware, and some at (what seem to me) absurdly high prices. The automagical stitchers are nice to use when they work, but they don't always. Below is an example ofa panonone of those are able to do. (A neighbor doubles the township population twice/year with a fancy horse show.)

Attached Images

BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2006, 4:56 PM   #2

very good bill

i got a similar one of my son playing football (soccer as u call it over there) he was a goalie running up to kick the ball, of course i did it in the software i use most (photoshop) the results are very pleasing :-)

ill see if i can find it

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 8:13 PM   #3

Nice sequence, well done!!
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 8:15 AM   #4

Being a newbie to panoramas have really only tried Autostitch and Panorama Factory and am curious as to what application you chose to create this shot?

Dave
BigBlueBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 7:05 PM   #5

I used an old version of PTGui (a GUI front endruning on top of Panorama Tools). The quality of Panorama Tools can be judged in part by the number of GUI front ends available for it: PTAssembler, PTGui, Hugin, PTMac, and a couple of others. Panorama Tools is Freeware - the gui's range from freeware to reasonably priced shareware. Not as easy to use as the good automagical stiching programs like Panorama Factory and Autostitch, but well worth the effort.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 5:24 PM   #6

You might want to check out Uleads Panarama 360 which I have found to work well also..

Dave
BudRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 7:54 PM   #7

Really Nice, Bill.

I have had mixed results with PTA, but surely for I often got tired of waiting for its rendering, especially when it failed already in the preview (both in manual and Autopano). Sadly I cannot try Autopano Pro, for I still use Win 98SE.

Most of my panos (I do a lot of them during my Italian Trekking sundays) are from Panorama Maker 3, who is really limited and poor for me, but tremendously fast and efficient most of the times.

Francesco

http://digilander.libero.it/peribsen/indice.htm
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 6:32 AM   #8

I am also still using WIN98 on an old PC - likely will update sometime this year when the newness of Vista wears off. I suspect most or all of the speed problems will go away with a newer maching.

I have got so used to using PTGui that I haven't used any of the automagical stitching programs for a couple of years. In good part because I don't do that many panoramas beyond two or three frames and those are real quick to pick the stitching points. The time it would take me to figure out how to use one of the automagical programs just isn't worth it. Esp when a better one comes out every year or so. For anyone doing a bunch of stitching the time spent to learn one of those is well worth the effort. And when an "unstichable" image shows up, it will be worth figuring out Panorama Tools with one of the GUI front-ends (PTGui, PTAssembler, Hugin, PTMac, ...)
Old Feb 11, 2007, 9:03 PM   #9

HI,

I tried doing some pano`s and the result is good. i tried many softwares. some are good in stitching and some are good in maintaining the quality of the photo.

Adobe CS2 is good if the snaps are taken in correct angle to match each other.

Autostitch is good but some what iam missing the quality a little bit.

i used the PT assembler and the related products of it. they are good but it consumes more time and i am not able to see the chages virtually whats happening.

Anyway nothing bad for freewares..

anandt is offline   Reply With Quote