Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Panorama / Stitching

Old Jun 7, 2006, 2:20 PM   #1

I am sorry, I am sure this topic has been discussed over and over but I just can´t find it, searching for banner and banner print and panorama and panorama print in the forum (and of course all over the net), all I find is about the stiching process. My printer supports it but all I have found so far is print master express and it is not very good, not reliable. Scales the image randomly, no exact positioning. Freeware/Open Source would be great but I´d pay up to 30 if it is worth it. And true banner - not just poster from sheets. I am printing digital images on drawings and paintings on canvas. I don´t need any stitching features but reliable layout and resolution handling. Just to print it.
Thank you very much!
pixelstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2006, 2:11 AM   #2

You don't say what printer you are using, but if the driver supports long prints, then Irfanview (freeware) might do what you want. Otherwise you might try Qimage.
panostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 2:54 AM   #3

Its a HP930C if that helps...
As I said it does support banner printing
It really surprises me that only so few people print banners! I got so used to finding everything on the web that it leaves me totaly puzzled when I can´t find a solution :lol:
Btw IrfanView can´t do it. Last program I tried is Poster but it is also very untidy in the way it handles the data. I did not risk sending anything to the printer with it - its a lot of wasted ink when it goes wrong.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:34 PM   #4

I would guess that the vast majority of people printing panoramas use Epson printers. I can print long prints up to about 129" using Photoshop CS2 on my 1290 and 2100. No banner mode involved - just an ordinary print. Irfanview does this too.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 5:25 PM   #5

For your practice prints use draft quality and grayscale with "black only" checked. If you don't check black only it will mix colors to get gray. The prints will be crappy but you won't waste much ink. Those HP black cartridges are extremely easy to refill BTW.

I had an HP 930 and printed a couple of banners with it. It was just a matter of selecting banner printing and sending it an image with the right print size – say 8.5 X 77 inches for American paper. You can do that from any editor and even from Irfanview.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 6:02 AM   #6

For testing purposes, I think it is best to use the same driver settings as you intend to use for the eventual final print. Just print an image that is nearly all white onto plain paper to avoid wasting ink and photo paper. As I recall, the 1290 driver behaved differentlyas regards maximum length, according to the paper type selected, i.e. plain paper or photo paper. But I've no reason to suppose that the same applies to HP printers.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 4:49 PM   #7

Hello! Your experiences gave me hope but I had no success today. Photoshop CS printed only a regular page, but ok its not CS2. Irfan View behaved very odly: On a testpicture with ink only on top and bottom it skipped the middle part of the banner so it was printing on the top and on the bottom of an imaginary normal page. The test picture came out only on top of the banner. :O That is very strange. So I painted a continous line from top to bottom and this time it came out as one line, again only as high as a normal piece of paper.
I tried size from dpi and special size. When I try to give the driver the real picture dimensions it uncheckes the banner option and it does not accept any height bigger than standard.
I think I have to be glad to have print master express with its odd sizing, at least it prints the whole lenght!
I include an IrfanView screenshot, maybe you can spot a mistake! You can see the wrong printsize on the right bottom.
edit: this was before the continous line, you can already see in the preview what the programm did with about 50 cm of image: discard it!
I´d like to know if you had wrong print previews when you were printing banners?
Attached Images

Old Jun 11, 2006, 1:08 PM   #8

u want to be looking for custom in paper size.

open pic with windows picture viewer and go to print then in stet up see if itll let u select custom size for paper size, u will have to type in the size u require to see if itll accept it, then ofcourse u need paper on a roll

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:03 AM   #9

It has been a while since I printed a banner, but I think the width becomes the height with a banner. The reason banner unchecks itself is probably because you are putting a height larger than the printer can accommodate. Try reversing the height and width and checking banner.

Nothing wrong with CS. Except for raw handling, purple fringing removal, lens corrections etc it is exactly the same as CS. It certainly is with paper size handling.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 1:09 AM   #10

I use Epson 1800 and cannot print anything over 100cm long.

The cs or cs2 software will not handle anything longer than 99cm. Or perhaps it is the printer driver.

I use print with preview, custom paper size, roll feed, banner mode, best photo.

Panos are anything up to 190 Mb. 48 bit colour uncompressed tifs. These will print at any size up to 99cm long, over this I get an error message. Same withmy old Epson 1290. Any ideas please.
liningiv is offline   Reply With Quote