Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 6, 2007, 4:23 PM   #11

Hi Corpsy,

$25 was a great deal, IMO, especially if it is the "A" version with the electrical contacts (the "M" version, without the contacts, is worth a little bit less for the inconvenience factor -- they are, IIRC, the same optically). When I bought mine last year, I was fine with paying almost 3 times that amount for an "A" version.

If you're interested, JensR did a comparison test between this TC with an A 50 f1.4 and a brand new D FA 100 f2.8 Macro on his website:

I think he showed that the Vivitar 2x MFTC with a good fast sharp prime is a viable alternative to a dedicated macro lens.

Edit : . . . and if you already have a 50 1.4 or 1.7 of any series, the 2x MFTC is a very inexpensive macro alternative, allowing you to focus continuously from 1:1 to infinity at practical working distances -- something that extension tubes and close up lenses won't do.

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 5:50 AM   #12

snostorm wrote:
Hi Hayward,

I wouldn't be too quick to write off Vivitar as a lensmaker, though they are a mere shadow of what they were quite a while ago.

Their 70-210 f2.8-4 Series 1 (made by Komine) are still highly regarded and actually sought after,
i've got one of those and ,yes, it is a very nice lens. a little warmer than the A70-210f4 ....

Old Feb 7, 2007, 5:38 PM   #13

Well I got the TC in today and I did a few test shots with my pentax 100-300mm. I love the reach that it is able to give me but the TC is VERY hard to use @300mm x2. During the test shots everything came out burry of course at hand held. I will take some more shots and post it up next time when I have time to really test it out. It is very cloudy right now and it is going to rain.

I think this could be decent enough to use and is worth the $14 I spend on it.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:44 PM   #14
Default Vivtar 2x

I got this converter about 3 weeks ago. I use it with my Canon 75-300 EF lens. I have noticed a definite loss of image quality, especially at longer FL. The other issue I have found, is with the manual focus as well as the auto focus, my images are not sharp and the focus is always off, even with a tripod and using the self timer. The converter is fairly well made, but I am questioning whether or not it is worth the effort. I have been shooting for over 30 years and still have a good eye, but even my best efforts don't seem to facilitate an image that is in sharp focus. I am seriously considering going to a 1x4 converter instead.
Freelanceshooter is offline   Reply With Quote