Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:55 AM   #11

Corpsy wrote:
dave_g wrote:
K mount lenses are normally referrred to as SMC-something (A, K, M,F, FA, FAJ, DA ).
SMC stands for Super Multi Coated and doesn't have anything to do with the mount, though I'm not sure I've ever seen a screw mount lens that had SMC on it. Rather, it would spell it out "Super-Multi-Coated".

From my own limited experience shopping for used lenses, every lens that said Pentax on it was a K mount, and were usually labeled M, A, F, or FA.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. When I said "normally referred to" I was talking about the way lenses are normally referenced on forums and described on e-bay, not the way they are labled.

As far as I know, "K" never really appears on the lens labeling, but it's commonly used to designate manual K mount lenses that don't have the "M" in the labeling. A lens labeled as "SMC PENTAX 1:2/28" is often referred to as a "Pentax K" or "SMC-K" even though the K doesn't actually appear on the lens. FAJ ("FA J" on the lens) is an autofocus lens with no aperture control ring. They are usually less expensive lenses. DA is an auto focus lens sized for digital cameras.
dave_g is offline   Reply With Quote