Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 10, 2007, 12:26 PM   #1

Hi there,

my lens arrived today and after some mild cleaning I fired some shots and as promised I'll post some here. Again many thanks for all the help I got here.

First impressions:
- it's not as heavy as my 28-210 Voigtlaender zoom (sure, can look at technical details, but I mean it also "feels" much lighter)
- zoom operation is smooth, camera had no problems with the lens so far
- AF seems quite fast and "safe" (almost no back-and-forth "hunting")

#1 - One of the first shots ever with this lens:

Not the most interesting object to photograph on earth, I know :roll:but that was what was available and I wanted to see how close I can get - nice narrow DOF, good overall feeling.

Then some shots of our "house-rabbits":

#2 - the "what will come next" - look

#3 - munching some fresh grass and herbs

#4 - some details from #2

#4.1 - 100% crop of eye, WB corrected, otherwise untouched, JPEG, "*" (worst) quality, ISO 400, 105mm, 1/200s, f/6.3

#4.2 - sharpened and post-processed version of #4.1

My feelings so far:
- it's a great lens
- operates fast and is not too much weight to carry around
- it gives me much better details than my 28-210 zoom
- macro abilities are way better than with my 28-210 zoom

I can't say something about CA or other stuff - time will tell.

Will take some RAW shots tomorrow at better light and will see how the look, am already looking forward to this. As this was planned to be my "walkaround lens" it will see some heavy usage, watch out for my next pictures here - chances are that these will be taken with that lens.

Again - thanks for hints and help!

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2007, 3:33 AM   #2

I recently purchased this lens also. I am very pleased with the results so far. I had wanted a lens primarily for outdoor portraits/snapshots of the family. I wanted a bit of zoom and a compact size and more sharpness than my Tamron 18-200mm. I chose this lens over the 35-105mm mostly because of availability and price. This lens is the silver with black focus and zoom rings, comes with a lens hood and is internal focusing. It is sharpest at the longer focal lengths, 70mm-105mm, than 28-50 even wide open. I paid $100 US New in box. My best lens purchase to date.

K10D 70mm 5.6 1/125 ISO 100

By the way, his expression is a reaction of looking up to see me taking his picture after he reenacted the scene where judge doom melts in the dip at the end of roger rabbit.
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote