Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 11, 2007, 7:26 AM   #1
TDN

posted this at mflenses.com too

I picked this one up a while ago, thought I'd share it here

I payed virtually nothing for it, the guy sold it together with another lens and a TC for 3 euros :shock:

Anyway, I figured I had nothing to lose and bought the lenses.

The other lens, a Cosinon 35mm 2.8 isn't too sharp and the Soligor 2x TC is just plain awful.

But this one, a Pentacon 200mm f4 proved to be quite a surprise!

Here's how it looks:

It's built like a tank, all metal with the aperture ring in front of the focus ring. The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that my AF contacts on the camera are uncovered...I might look for a DIY solution for this.

Here's something interesting: the aperture. Just look at all those blades!
There's 15 of them if I counted correctly. Later we'll see that this gives the lens some incredible bokeh.
The ring doesn't "stop down" in clicks, it opens or closes the aperture with a smooth movement, enabling you to take any position between f4 and f22.

Now what really makes this lens shine: the pictures!

this first one was shot at f4, so wide open

( full res here )
Like I mentioned, wonderful silky bokeh, and sharp! This is a non-MC lens with slightly clouded glass, and still it brings out that image! No sharpening in PS applied, only corrected the levels and reduced the file size.

at f8 it's even sharper, but the bokeh becomes less smooth (as with any lens)

( full res here )

My copy is slightly scratched and dinged on the outside, and the glass has some "clouding" and some traces of dust. Still it produces grea results, so imagine what a mint example can do

If you see this lens for a reasonable price: don't hesitate!

greets,
Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2007, 5:31 PM   #2

hey tom,
i recently picked up a viviter 200 f3.5 M42 by accident and was awestruck at how sharp it is even tho there's no MC. it's part of the kit now. how's school going??

roy
Old Apr 11, 2007, 7:19 PM   #3
TDN

Hi roy,

Yeah I was surprised with this one too. Atilla pointed me to this review: http://www.mflenses.com/content/view/12/29/

Apparantly it's from the early Pentacon days, and almost equals the quality of a Zeiss lens!

I'm now trying to get my hands on one of them Flektogon 35mm lenses on ebay, but prices have skyrocketed...

School's going good. Passed all my courses from last semester, and now enjoying spring break till monday. Have to work on a programming project, but it's coming along nicely...

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote