Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 21, 2007, 9:25 PM   #1

Anyone have any experience with this lens? Is it a good lens to use as the standard lens on say a Pentax K10D or K100 ?

Better than the Pentax kit lens ?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2007, 11:23 PM   #2

I have it and use it as "on body when no reason to use another" lens. Lightweight, to some that is an advantage. I like to have the short end, very useful in some situations.Optically it's very good, but mechanically I find it "plastic and rattelly". Maybe that's the way it should be with modern AF lenses, but I prefer the older sturdy things.

Can't compare with the 18-55, haven't got it.

Sample pic 16 mm:
Attached Images
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 10:54 AM   #3

I love mine as well. I mainly use it for outdoor shooting. The shoot is taken yestersday at rouge beach park, toronto. Very nice day.
Attached Images
ivan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 11:55 PM   #4

I have both, and like both. The reason why I picked up the 16-45 is that vignetting is reduced or eliminated. At 18 on the kit - I had viginetting, at 16 with the other it is gone. There are reports that there may be some viginetting at some fstops, but I have not found it.

The 16 is a much sharper lens and has a constant f4. It is also larger, a bit heaver - actually I like it. The lens is reversed - as at wide angle it extends and zooms in for 45. Thus with wide angle with a flash - there is the potential of a shadow of the lens nose (fully extended) at the bottom of the image. I like the construction of the 16 much better than the kit.

The kit is much lighter and small lens. It is pretty good for the price (my difference was about $20) so it was a steal.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote