Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 24, 2007, 10:14 PM   #1

For a long time I was holding out for a Pentax 28-105 f/3.2-4.5, but have decided it will never become available again. In looking for alternatives, I came across this Tamron SP AF 24-135mm f/3.5-5.6 AD Aspherical IF.

Anybody had experience with this or can recommend something similar? I like the size of the Tamron and have heard the sigma 24-135 is rather large.

pwithem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2007, 12:45 AM   #2

The Tamron 24-135mm lens has received really good reviews and it also appears that there is also a good Tamron rebate on the lens as well right now. Please give it a good look. I have seen some amazing photos from this lens.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 3:22 AM   #3

The Tamron SP lenses are quite famous for their performance...a very nice focal length range too.

If you want something less expensive, you can maybe find a Pentax 28-105mm on ebay. Ira (another member of this forum) has one of those and is very pleased about them, or at least that's what I heard.

If you are willing to spend the money though, the Tamron should be a great lens.

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 12:19 PM   #4

thanks for the feedback. I did recently find a couple pentax 28-105's on ebay, so i'll have to see how the bidding goes. i often find that scarce items - even used ones - often exceed their retail value on ebay, in which case i may just go with the tamron and pay the $300 for something new.
pwithem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 4:32 PM   #5

I have the Sigma 24-135mm. It does have a large barrel and lens but it is not too long and it has a good feel on the K100. My feelings on it are mixed. It is capable of producing some pretty good pictures but at the same time I seem to misfocus (or miss focus) more with this lens than any other. My wife really likes it, though, and it is her preferred lens when she is allowed to use her camera.

PS: Hi Sarah, good to see you back!
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 2:03 AM   #6

Not saying its thecase since you see a difference, but in a dynamic DOF shot matrix/mulltipoint focus is a bad thing often.

In fact I have pretty much stuck with center point lartely..... much more reliable even if it means reframing after focus.

But I absolutly focus on what I intened were as multipoint tends to all too often go for the closest thing or something else you don't really intend.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 1:36 PM   #7

I own a Sigma 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 lens, that works. I know that many od these lenses had communication issues with Pentax DSLRs, mine is used on my DL and DS with no problems (only focus errors are when the batteries are low).

My opinion:

Pro: - great image quality
- fast aperture at the wide end
- solid feel
- Internal focus means the filters and lens hoods do not rotate
- excellent zoom range for general photography
- probably my favourite lens for walk about

Con: - heavy and large, certainly loses the advantage of the compact Pentax body
- zoom creep, it changes focal length when tipped up or down.
- large filter ring means expensive filters

I have trouble recommending this lens because of the problems others have had. For me this has been an absolutely fantastic lens that makes up for its heft in image quality.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 2:33 PM   #8

I own an autofocus Sigma 28-105mm, and I will say I'm quite happy with it. Since buying that lens, It has become my primary walk-around lens...though I do sometimes swap it with a manual focus Tamron 28-200 I typically have with me...

At this point in time, the only lens in this ranage I might be tempted to replace the Sigma with is the Pentax FA 28-105 (with the Power Zoom feature). That's the only feature of my K10D I want to play with but haven't had an opportunity to try.

pbender is offline   Reply With Quote