Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 26, 2007, 1:39 PM   #31

Taken with the Vivitar 2x TC as well, noticable purple fringing not seen in the previous picture.
Attached Images

Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 1:43 PM   #32

Conclusion:

Works alright in the test shots, hopefully take some "real" photo's with it during the weekend.

Next time... don't do it while ill, the mount is upside down for a start, and I should have cleaned and lubricated the lens first, never going to get the mount off again now!

Ah well, one free 58mm lens and one couple of quid sigma zoom and the results aren't too bad, they weren't getting used anyway! :G
Old Sep 27, 2007, 1:48 AM   #33

Tachikoma wrote:
Quote:
Conclusion:

Works alright in the test shots, hopefully take some "real" photo's with it during the weekend.

Next time... don't do it while ill, the mount is upside down for a start, and I should have cleaned and lubricated the lens first, never going to get the mount off again now!

Ah well, one free 58mm lens and one couple of quid sigma zoom and the results aren't too bad, they weren't getting used anyway! :G
You learn from your mistakes...At least you are over the first hurdle..The Jeez I can't do that!!! Syndrome. Looks pretty good to me and the photo results speak for themselves.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 6:34 PM   #34

Hi Tachikoma, You must be feeling pretty chuffed with yourself, it's a great buzz when you recycle some redundant bit of kit, well impressed with the closeups.

I have just picked up a 35mm zoom slide copier off ebay,(to digitalise 1,000+ slides!)but it has aolympus OM mount on the 42mm screwed end of the tube.Tied in vain to get a K adaptor in local camera shops. Unless I can, like you canibalise a bayonet off an old lens (that I hav'nt got !) looks like I will have to source on from USA or Hong kong dealers, but they cost more to post than the mount costs ! or maybe I could 'dawg' the OM mount to fit the Pentax ??? silversurfer.
silversurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 7:07 PM   #35

So it has an M42 screw mount and an Olympus adaptor?

I can make you a makeshift M42/K mount adaptor from a body cap, it won't hold a long lens' weight or have infinity focus obviously, but for a slide converter it should be fine with the right support.

I have a body cap here that I can do for you this weekend and mail it to you Monday, only cost you the postage to send it back when you are finished with it.

Let me know if you want me to do it.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 7:25 PM   #36

Tachikoma wrote:
Quote:
So it has an M42 screw mount and an Olympus adaptor?

I can make you a makeshift M42/K mount adaptor from a body cap, it won't hold a long lens' weight or have infinity focus obviously, but for a slide converter it should be fine with the right support.

I have a body cap here that I can do for you this weekend and mail it to you Monday, only cost you the postage to send it back when you are finished with it.

Let me know if you want me to do it.
If glued on properly and not over tightened the body cap would certainly work for this use! But then how do you get it back off??? Double face tape maybe??

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 7:17 AM   #37

If I don't shave it down to exactly 42mm then it should be tight enough to not slide off, the thread on the mount should dig in tight enough that it just screws on and off, it's only plastic. I still have an M42 lens here that I can use to test it on before mailing it.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 9:31 AM   #38

SS,
If that copier has an M42 thread, all you need is an M42/ K mount adaptor, even one of the flange type that doesn't allow infinity focus will be fine for slide copying.Below is a flange type, and you're looking at the K mount side. these are available from a Uk seller.
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:05 AM   #39

Hi guys, thanks Tachikomar for very kind offer (I knew this was a great forum !) to make me a temporary one ( I did a similar hack on my Yashica body cap years ago!)And jachol, never knew there was a flange m42/K mount, where did you spot one?

I have trawled ebay and only found v. expensive UK (£15.00 ish plus postage,) ones. And cheaper,probably Chinese 'copys' in US/hong kong dealers. Anyway, on MondayI will be in Liverpool and will check out a few camera repair shops before doing anything.I think the modified body cap will probably sag a bit with weight of slide copier so I will try to source a flange/T mount, there is a US dealer in Michigan doing one on ebay for $8.00 plus postage, probably go for that.....we pensioner's are nothing if not penny wise ! I will be away for three weeks from Wednesday soI will pick this one up when i come back, and report in when under way, thanks for the tips Silversurfer.
silversurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:37 AM   #40

silversurfer wrote:
Quote:
Hi Tachikoma, You must be feeling pretty chuffed with yourself, it's a great buzz when you recycle some redundant bit of kit, well impressed with the closeups.

I have just picked up a 35mm zoom slide copier off ebay,(to digitalise 1,000+ slides!)but it has aolympus OM mount on the 42mm screwed end of the tube.Tied in vain to get a K adaptor in local camera shops. Unless I can, like you canibalise a bayonet off an old lens (that I hav'nt got !) looks like I will have to source on from USA or Hong kong dealers, but they cost more to post than the mount costs ! or maybe I could 'dawg' the OM mount to fit the Pentax ??? silversurfer.

Just one comment in relation , M42 mount is one thing, T-mount is another. A T-mount is also 42mm but has a different thread, many accessories, such as very long tele lenses and slide copiers use T-mounts. These require you to find the correct adaptor to fit whatever camera system you use. If you manage to force a T-mount thread into an M42?K-mount adaptor the lens will actually be much closer to the focal plane then it should be, it therefore will not focus correctly (although you may still manage to focus on distant objects. Sounds like you have a T-mount slide copier.

Check it out, you probably need a T-mount for Pentax K, I have one (and a slide copier).

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote