Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 5, 2007, 4:22 AM   #1

Hi all,

I have a chance to get Tokina 80-200/f2.8 manual focus lens (K mount) for AU$250. It has a tripod mount and is a push-n-pull zoom. Two questions:

1. Is it a good lens?

2. Is the price a good price?

kjao is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2007, 6:41 AM   #2

Hi Kenny,

The Tokina 80-200 f2.8 SD AT-X is a pretty good lens, big and heavy and built like a tank. I never owned one, but had a chance to try one once, and liked it. It scored a 2.9 (very high for a zoom) on the old Photodo, and J Colwell rated it ** on the SPLOSdb, either of which would class it as good enough for me to seriously consider, and I've gotten picky in my old age :-).

Optically, I don't think it is quite as good as the Tamron SP 80-200 f2.8 LD Adaptall 2 (which IMO is the best of class in fast MF zooms in this range for Pentax), but it's supposed to be close, and the Tam is rarer (read more expensive), as is the PK/A adapter that you need to make it work (which would probably add @ $100 to the base price of the lens at this point).

The price sounds good if it's in very good or better shape, as the last few sold for @ $320-400+ USD (for Ex ones) recently on ebay IIRC.

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote