Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 16, 2007, 3:18 PM   #1

Hello All,

I am new to buying a lens for my K10D. I have the lens that came with the camera. Now I want to upgrade. Not huge, but still an upgrade.

Is there a better brand of lens?

Sigma, Phoenix, Tamron, Tokina, Pentax, Other?

I am looking for a Regular lens and a Macro lens.

Money you ask? I have no idea....how much do these things cost?

No more than $300.00 each. Is that not enough?

Thank you all.
medonald1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2007, 8:03 PM   #2

You have asked a few questions that cover a lot of ground. Any number of the posts, both here in the lens forum and on the Pentax forum would help.

I am assuming that you have the kit lens, which is really excellent. To upgrade from it, to a faster lens (f2.8) would be quite a bit of money for the 16-50 f2.8 lens that was just announced - and apparently no one has yet. I think I heard that they were going to be priced at around $800 to $1K.

Each brand of lens has great lens, along with its clunkers. Overal the Pentax brand has a reputation for very good lens, especially with its SMC coating that control flair. Depending on your need/use, Sigma, Tamron and Tokina offer good lens, but with out knowing how your going to use it - wide angle, telephoto, macro, no one is going to be able to help you.

So what you need to do is to determine where your interests lie - how you take your pictures - wide angle, telephoto, action shots, low light in the house of the kids, landscapes or ??? With that people can start to make some suggestions. Go back and look at your pictures and figure out where you take the bulk of them 18mm or 55mm or some place in the middle. Then figure out where you to go. Its a bit like walking on to a car lot and saying you want to buy a car - 4 door sedan or sports car, light duty pickup or 18 wheeler.

Hope that helps....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote