Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Nov 26, 2007, 12:28 AM   #1

Anyone know anything about this lens?
All I know is that it's got the "A" setting on the aperture ring so I can use the aperture setting in the camera, and it's manual focus.
It looks quite big... but interesting.

The main question I can't seem to find the answer to is if it's worth having and at what price?

I'm a DSLR newbie with a K100D.

Any insight would be appreciated.
RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2007, 1:02 AM   #2

I don't know anything about the JC Penney, but if you want a great lens in this FL and speed range, I'd wholeheartedly recommend the Pentax A 70-210 f4 Macro (from experience) or the Vivtar Series 1 70-210 f2.8-4 (Komine version)(from reputation). This version of the Vivitar S1 was made in both K and A versions, and is pretty highly sought after and reasonably rare, so your best bet is probably the Pentax. It probably won't be as inexpensive as I'm guessing the Penney is, but the A 70-210/4 macros are plentiful on ebay, and it's pretty easy to find one that you can get for significantly under $100 US, so it's one of the best bangs for your buck in good Pentax branded glass.

Another Pentax lens in this range that is very good is the F 70-210 f4-5.6. Optically, it has tested among the best AF consumer zooms ever made. IIRC, Kjell has 3(?) of them -- and it's possible to get one of these for very reasonable money if you're lucky.

BTW, the reason I didn't mention the Kiron or Tokina V S 1 70-210 f3.5s is that they weren't made with the A setting on the aperture ring, and this was mentioned in the OP. . .

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 6:48 AM   #3

another very good lens in IQ is the pentax smc M80-200/4.5. alas tho, no A setting on it either. 1 problem with it is, there were 2 versions of it and you'd want v1.it is tho half the weight of the either 70-210 scott mentioned.. i've had them all and they are very similar in IQ and speed. a non-A lens is not very hard to use..

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 1:44 PM   #4

The J.C. Penny lenses are all over the board as far as quality. I have a 135mm screw mount that I love. (Made in Japan)They were made by a host of third party lens manufacturers and according to who made it the quality could be good to very bad. If you like it and you want it, buy it and try it. Most go for a very low price and you may get one of the better ones. Just know as I've said the quality of them can be bad...Buyer beware...Or at least be AWARE!! LOL

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 3:47 PM   #5

I appreciate the input from everyone.

I'm going to let this lens pass and shop for something with more reliable quality.

Thanks, all!
RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote