Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 16, 2008, 8:37 PM   #11

Go here and look at the photos...Sigma 70-300 APO.

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 9:14 PM   #12

for 250 you might get a pentax K mount 300/f4. the way prices are going you need to get it now..

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:22 PM   #13

I would not get a zoom, as Harriet said I would get a 300mm prime for the sharpness over zooms. In order to get a zoom that is razor sharp you will need to get an expensive one like the FA* 80-200 2.8, but then you get a heavy lens that is not that easy to hand hold.

The Pentax brand F* and FA* are the best, followed by the A* and then the A and M versions, all of which are sharper than most zooms in the 300mm range at the top end.

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2008, 4:51 AM   #14

Thanks everyone for the help. I have had my nose in Ebay for several days. It is astounding the wealth of lenses made available there. I am weighing all considerations against the Sigma APO 70-300 new. I can get it new for about $210 delivered. That route, of course, gets me a one-year warranty. Also weigh that against Tamron's which is said to be slightly less quality, but six-year warranty. The warranties may not be a deciding factor because you would expect any warrantable defects to show up at least within a year anyway. Past that, you probably damaged it yourself. I'm still looking. Sort of have the dreaded LBA disease, but what the heck, it's the only disease I have, and there are plenty, that feels good. At least it keeps my mind active, thinking "this or that". The little woman is being very patient so far.

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote