Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:37 AM   #1

Hello, Just wondering if anyone has/had it and what do you feel about this lens.

vizjerei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:32 PM   #2

i don't know victor but the super-takumar(non-smc) 300/4 is a dynamite lens, also the non-smc 500/4.5 and the 500/4.5 smc is close to nuclear.
i've heard very good reports on the 400/5.6.. what we all want/covet is a 400/4 or 400/2.8..............but alas, few here can afford one. if you get the 400/5.6 at a good price like <300usd then i doubt you'll be disappointed..

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 9:51 AM   #3

Should be a very good lens if you aren't shooting low light subjects. Sharpest photos will be an f-stop or two from wide open. One limitation is the distance you can obtain a good focus. The longer lens demand more distance to focus them. Most 400 5.6 lens focus down to 8 meters or about 26 feet or so.. So if you plan on shooting closer it won't do it. Now saying that you can use macro extension tubes to do closer photos. I have a 400mm 6.3 that Ive used a homemade extension tube to get as close as 10 feet and still get sharp photos.

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 11:50 AM   #4

Hi Victor,

I only know this lens by reputation. There aren't any older Pentax long tele lenses that aren't at least very good, and this lens was rated (**)(very good) in the SPLOSdb, which I have always trusted for ratings of older lenses. I usually wouldn't personally consider a lens rated any lower than (*) in the SPLOSdb, so I'd easily take a chance on one of these at a good price -- and I'd say that Roy is definitely in the ballpark here.

Dawg has made a good point about minimum focusing distances. The older teles usually don't focus very close, and this one's MFD is about 8 meters. The subsequent Pentax 400/5.6s reduced the MFD to 5m in the "M", 2.8m in the "A*", and 2m in the (FA*). The prices asked for these newer models will, of course, be higher, as there is no free lunch. . . the "star" classed lenses will command the premium they usually deserve, and are much harder to find at affordable prices.

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 6:05 AM   #5

There is a nice offer for a Panagor PMC 400/5,6 - any hints on that? I am looking for a fast lens that isn't too heavy but still has long reach and is usable wide open...
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 12:12 PM   #6

Thank guys, I don't think I can affard A or later version , not mention those * version :P I guess I will try this lens. I am thinking using it for wildlife like dear or bear... MF should be fine i guess and I won't be too close with them anyways

vizjerei is offline   Reply With Quote