Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Nov 1, 2008, 5:40 PM   #11

If you want to start on macros, you might consider a macro converter and a prime lens. I use my Vivitar 2x macro Teleconverter with 40/2.8, 50/1.7, 85/2 primes and this works well for me.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 6:20 PM   #12

hmm, I just bought a Pentax 18-55. I believe it is a prime? That is what it said when I bought it. Gosh I am slow with this! I can take a picture but I don't understand half (or more) of the lingo. Anyway, a teleconverter is definetly another option.

I just posted another question on this board about another lens I have found for sale.

But after accidentally buying a screw mount lens off Ebay that I though would work.... I hesitate to make any of my own decisons!

Thank you for all the replies everyone. I appreciate your knowledge!
wishiwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 7:55 PM   #13

A prime lens is a lens with a fixed focal length. A zoom lens has a range of focal lengths. So a prime would be a 77mm 1.8 is a prime lens, as is a 300mm f4. A lens identified as a 18-55 will be a zoom lens, as is a 70-300 or a 50-135 etc. It doesn't matter who made the lens or what it's aperture. In the past, a lens that only has one focal length was almost always sharper than a lens that's a zoom because there are fewer elements and it's easier to make. However, there's been some really awesome zooms that come close to matching sharpness and quality of some of the primes, and one or two zooms are certainly more convenient to carry than 5 or 6 primes.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:40 PM   #14

Mntgal, thank you for clarifying that for me.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I bought a bunch of books and I am trying to absorb as much as possible, but honestly after reading a while my head feels like it is spinning. lol. I think getting this information to "stick", I need to practice it and then it will make sense.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Someone told me that if I was wanting to take Macro I needed to get a prime lens.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
wishiwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:44 PM   #15

Wish... Rather than read and read and read, take a single chapter, read it with your camera, and then go try it out. Spend a day or a weekend just on that one topic. Use the equipment that you have, even though it might not be the most appropriate for the task. It will probably work to a large extent, maybe not perfectly - but good enough (the 70 or 80% solution).

One of my favorite lenses - a fish eye, I used as a walkaround lens for a weekend while my wife was busy at an animal show. I tried all kinds of things, and learned a tremendous amount in the process. Used it for shots that I never should have, but they turned out great - for a variety of reasons.

You have an 18-55 and a 70-300, you can shoot everything from wide angle (and stitch to get wider), to shooting the moon, (or your toes in a dim room). With the K10 you have all the controls you need - just take one adjustment, mode, wheel or menu item at a time - read about it and then shoot with it for a period of time. After a couple of items - start combining them together.

digital film is free - which is cheap enough...
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote