Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 20, 2008, 3:35 AM   #11

I am definitely in the AF camp.

My eyes are starting to fail.

I actually had laser eye surgery recently to reduce the chance of my retina's separating from my eyes. And I have to go back every 6 months or so to see the progress in my eyes.

So over the past few years, I've been finding that I can only use my MF lenses in bright light. Med to low light, forget it.

Which, I guess, is why I've really been trying to figure out how to get Autofocus to work for me in med to low-light situations. [Because that is the only way I can use the camera. MF in these situations is not an option for me anymore.]

And . . . I guess since I had this surgery, it really woke me up that if I want to learn about photography at all, I'd better learn about it now while I still have sight. I might not be able to learn about it later.

Take care,

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 4:13 AM   #12

Well !, I prefer manual focus ...most of my earlier experience with photography was at the time when AF wasn't available, soMF was the norm, something you took for

granted,but I have been long sighted all my life, I've always had to use reading glasses when using the camera, and have a rubber eyecup in preference to the

standard viewfinder eyepiece, at the moment I only have a couple of AF lenses, and several manual ones ... I find the viewfinderfocus indication and bleep a big help,

and regularly use focus trap, especially for macro work, as I age more I will I'm sure become more inclined toward AF lenses, but for now will continue as always. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 8:23 AM   #13

Put me squarely in the AF camp, primarily for reasons that have already been mentioned....less than perfect eyesight and the fact that I shoot so many moving objects. I have been fortunate enough to accumulate a collection of very good AF lenses, and these six pretty well encompass my shooting:

Sigma 16-50 f/2.8 EX DG
Sigma 28mm f/1.8 EX DG
Pentax FA 50 f/1.4
Pentax DA*50-135 f/2.8
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX DG HSM
Sigma 50-500 f/4.0-6.3 EX DG

I also have lesser quality Sigma 28-200, Tamron 70-300, and Phoenix 100-400 AF lenses. My wife likes to use the Tamron and Phoenix lenses for outdoor work simply because of their weight (the larger Sigma's are too heavy for her to handhold and she hates using a monopod), and they are OK as long as light is good. In the "good lens" group, the lens I use least is the 28mm Sigma, simply because I haven't found too many shots I wanted to take for which it is the best lens.

I have given my son some of my better MF lenses because he prefers MF on his K100, and the only one I've really missed is a Series 1 35-85 f2.8. My remaining MF's, a Series 1 70-210 f/3.5 and a Pentax 135 f/2.5 seldom make it into the field bag.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:05 PM   #14

for things that move quickly or unpredictably AF zooms are my choice,

for landscape and portrait work I prefer my Carl Zeiss manual focus primes
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 12:11 AM   #15

If you had your druthers...
would you replace your MF with an AF?
I did and I have never looked back.

It depends on the type of photography you do. AF and SR are absolute essentials for me. When Minolta came out with the 7000i I switched from Pentax and saw my percentage of keepers rise dramatically, and with the cost of color film, that was an additional consideration. When Pentax came out with the *istD, I got one thinking I could use all those old manual lenses (except for the macros, I never touched them). Minolta followed with the 7D about 6 months later with SR, Pentax countered with the K100D with SR and I have been using two systems ever since (although since the K10 & now the K20 I seldom use the Minoltas).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote