Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 6, 2009, 7:03 PM   #1

Hi, being in New York currently i have the usual attack of LBA.

I'm having recently a lot of problems with low light autofocus with kit lens on k10d, while still ok with FA 50mm.

I'm considering getting the tamron 17-50, since being 2.8 should focus better, and has anyway great reviews.

My question is: having a zomm 2.8 at 50mm, do I still need the 50mm? I could sell it to help in the purchase of the zoom, since with 2 daughters i feel guilty now spending money for my hobby.

Is there a great IQ difference between tamron at 50mm 2.8, and FA 50mm at 2.8? I rarely use it under that aperture anyway.

As far as autofocus speed, would I be better with the pentax 17-70 sdm or the sigma 17-70?

Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2009, 9:39 PM   #2

I do not have the Tamron, so I can't compare directly. Generally lenses seem to perform best stopped down a couple stops, regardless of what their "wide open" point is. So my guess would be the 50mm would do better at f/2.8 than the zoom would.

If budget is a big issue you might consider the Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8. Cameta had them on Amazon for $200 and I really like mine, very sharp at f/4 and quick focusing. There is one on ebay right now under $200 (not mine and I don't know the seller).

If you are looking for a wide angle zoom it won't fit the bill but otherwise it makes an excellent normal zoom and has been one of my better price/performance buys.

Edit: Sorry, I did not notice the auction google took me to was ended. These were widely available for $200 until quite recently, if you are interested keep watching, one will turn up.
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 10:22 PM   #3

Thanks, but i had the 24-60 for Canon, and I was not very happy, the range was no good for me. If I give up the wide end, at least i want enough tele for portraits.

The tamron's reviews seem to consider the center performance excellent from 2.8, that's why I'm thinking maybe it would be enough for me.
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote