Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

View Poll Results: What should I get?
Sigma 18-35 and old KM 0 0%
Sigma 18-35 and "new" film camera(which one?) 0 0%
Pentax 18-35 and "new" film camera(which one?) 0 0%
Other... 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:07 PM   #1

Hello everyone, I am new to the forums. I have a slightly broken KM that is usable(meter problems). What I want to know is if the Sigma 18-35 f3.5-4.5 has an aperture ring. Also, Is the IQ acceptable? My scans from the lab are only 6 mp so I wont print huge prints. I can get it on KEH for $65 thought it is BGN. Are BGN items that bad??

If none of this works out I can just get a (used) Pentax 18-35 f4-5.6 for $110, and a "new" film camera(not more than $40).

What do you guys think? Thanks!!!:-)
MaxwellL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:07 AM   #2

Are you dead set on getting a film camera?

Or have you considered digital?

Unfortunately, most of the recent lenses for the Pentax K-mount are designed only to work with digital.

Two reasons.

1) As you pointed out, they don't have an aperture ring., &

2) They don't fully expose the larger film frame. (Only a smaller circle within the film frame, just large enough to expose the smaller digital CCD / CMOS sensor.)

I think for Sigma lenses, they say a "DC" lens will only work with digital, but a "DG" lens will work with both film & digital. (That's my understanding, please check Sigma's site http://www.sigmaphoto.com to confirm.)

For a super wide film lens, wasn't the Tokina 19-35 F3.5-4.5 (a.k.a. The Plastic Fantastic) supposed to be the cheap, yet acceptablesuper widelens for film cameras? (NOTE: completely manual focus, but with aperture ring.) And I believe there is a Pentax mount version of this lens. This lens will probably go for $75 used?

Take care,

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 1:12 PM   #3

I already have a K200D FYI..... I just wanted to try out an ultra wide for film. Ultra wide for digital: $650. Ultra wide for film: <$150. BTW, all of the lenses that I mentioned cover full-frame. And I will buy the lens used, not new.......
MaxwellL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 5:21 PM   #4

Hi Maxwell,

I really am not familiar with the lens, so I can't help there, except that I've read a few reveiws, and IIRC, they weren't complimentary. I'd Google the lens, and read reviews regardless of platform, then make your choice.

As far as KEH goes, I do have extensive experience buying from them, and I highly recommend them as a source of used camera gear. Their ratings are famously conservative, meaning that unless you're a collector, and are VERY fussy about very minor nuances of condition, you'll probably find that all of their "bargain" grade lenses are significantly undergraded, and much better than expected -- certainly more than acceptable as a lens that one would actually intend to use.

I've never been close to disappointed with either their products or service in dozens of transactions and probably a couple of $K worth of lenses and accessories. If I had to guess, I'd say that 95% of the lenses that I've bought from them have been "bargain" grade.

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote