Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 25, 2009, 6:37 PM   #1

i solved a proble earlier this week, and i thought i might share it with you to see if it will help you to,
i wanted a faster responce time, which is time between pressing shutter, getting focus lock and snapping the photo. so there i was doing some research, and narrowed it down to the Nikon D90 or the Canon 50D, so i went on to steves forum and asked which should i choose, well JimC replied , to me right away and asked why i wanted to change, for he has helped me a lot with my K20D and K10D in the past, so i told him why, he replied, just try one more thing for him before i switch.
He told me to put on the lens shade and remove the protective filter, and bam!!!!!!!!!

i was using a totally different camera , outdoors and indoors, i mean instant focus lock and snapping.
to finalize the test , i gave my wife the camera and told her to take a picture of me, her responce was, " so you went and bought another camera today" i asked her why she asked that , she replied " cause this camera taking pictures right away and the other one took forever
I smiled said a pray for JimC

Pentax K20D / D-BG2
DA*16-50 : DA*50-135 : 360 FGZ
Domke F3X / lowepro stealth reporter D100AW
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2009, 9:09 PM   #2

Hi Dave,

I've learned to always use the hood for front lens element protection, and don't have protective filters on anything but my FA* 300/2.8, which came with one from the factory.
The extra contrast gained from flare control often makes a difference as you have noticed.

There was a thread a while back about optimising AF speed on DPR:

Most of the answers were tag posts and thanks, but there are a few with additional tips. Norm is a long time pro in Canada, and his tips are usually well thought out, coming from experience rather than wive's tales and accepting "conventional thinking", IMO

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:09 AM   #3

Yeah. Taking off the filter. . .

I mostly just shoot friends & family shots right now.

And with 12 young ones running around, I am constantly wiping finger prints off my filter (and view finder - how the heck do they get their fingers in there?) <grin>

Until they all grow up, there is no way I'm taking my filters off. <grin>

Take care,

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 3:49 PM   #4

Unless I need one for a specific purpose I don't have a filter on my camera. When shooting landscapes I sometimes use a polorizing filter along with a gradual gray ND filter to help with the sky, clouds and reflective light.

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 7:37 AM   #5

I quit using skylight filters after all these years. Now I only use a polarizer.

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote