Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jun 12, 2009, 9:12 AM   #11

I have, and love, the Tamron 28-75, however I seriously doubt you'd be happy with its performance on indoor sports with the K10d or the K100d. As John has accurately pointed out, most gyms and arenas below the college or professional level have very poor lighting.

With ISO on the K10 topping out at 1600, an f/2.8 lens is not going to give you enough light to stop action without a flash. I have used both the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and the Pentax DA*50-135. I have one arena, a very modern civic arena that I can get enough shutter speed to be useful. Shooting the K10, the only lens I have that gets enough light to shoot basketball in high school gyms is the FA 50mm f/1.4. The 77mm f/1.8 would be even better, but I don't have that one, and I probably won't buy it with the K-7 on the horizon.

With the K100d, you have the possibility of going to ISO 3200, but noise becomes a problem, and you are limited to a 6 MP sensor.

I shoot the K10 and K20, and my son has the K100,

Many of us who are Pentax devotees have very high hopes for the K-7 as a sports/action shooting camera, and if it delivers the quality of focus system promised, along with improved high ISO performance, it could make the DA*50-135 a very nice sports lens because of its SDM performance.

However, I would caution you not to expect great performance on BOTH ends of the court from ANY lens. You're not going to be close enough to the action, or shooting at the right angles, to get quality.

The Tamron 28-75 is a great general-purpose, walk-around lens, and its macro performance is above average. Mine never leaves either my camera bag or the front of my K20. I use it very effectively for flowers and landscapes, but I would never use it for sports.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 9:10 PM   #12

Since the K-7 isn't out yet, no one knows if there will be problems with Sigma's HSM lenses. However, I would think that if they work on the current cameras, they should also work with the K-7. From what I've read, it seems like Pentax has improved the brains of the AF system, not changed how it talks to lenses. It's going to be very interesting to see how things go with this new camera (I'm another who's seriously considering upgrading, even though I don't shoot sports).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote