Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 3, 2009, 10:17 AM   #1
Default New WR Kit Lens

When my kit lens was stolen a year ago, I didn't replace it since I had the focus range well covered with f/2.8 lenses. However, I was extremely happy to see the new kit lens offered in a Water Resistant configuration in conjunction with the introduction of the K-7. I was hoping that there was no compromise in IQ. I had my first chance to test it this weekend. A few samples...first, a panorama of the Arkansas River Valley (blue hazy day)

I shot this leaf, not because it was particularly interesting, but I thought it would give a good evaluation of the lens' capture of detail

Finally, a shot of some interesting detail in a sandstone bluff

I'm really glad to see Pentax offering the lower dollar WR lenses. I've often thought it didn't make a lot of sense to make a wonderfully sealed body, but offering only high dollar WR lenses. From a marketing standpoint, this would certainly seem to give Pentax a hook for the first-time buyer.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2009, 11:11 AM   #2

I agree with you Paul. Pentax's introduction of its weather-resistant kit lenses was a great idea and actually a bit overdue. I still hope they come out with a WR edition of the 18-250 vacation lens - or maybe an 18-270 version. In fact, doing this with all of their zoom lenses makes a lot of sense and would help separate Pentax for the crowd. Keep us up to date.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote