Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 14, 2009, 7:53 PM   #11

Originally Posted by inneyeseakay View Post
Looking for something to replace my kit lens... Mainly debating between the Pentax 16-45/4 and the Sigma 20-40/2.8. (I also thought about the Sigma 28-70/2.8, but really want to keep the wider range available). They can be had for about the same price, so I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on each. Also, how's the distortion on the 16-45 at the wide end... does it get fishy at all?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Sigma 18-50mm F2.8

My daughter has it and She did this image with no flash indoor with very little DoF

I suppose 18mm is wide enough for you. I picked up Sigma 24-60mm instead as I have a wider prime lens

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 9:41 PM   #12

Daniel - that's an awesome picture, very sharp. Makes me think seriously about changing my priorities for a lens in this focal length - I had put weather sealing as the #2 priority.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:58 PM   #13

Have you considered the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5?

I've been looking for some time at replacing my DA18-55mm kit lens with either the DA16-45mm or the Sigma 17-70mm and I see that Sigma has released an 18-50mm f2.8-4.5 OS HSM in Pentax mount. The HSM is Sigma's version of SDM so I'm not sure if it will work a non-SDM pentax body.

I bought a Sigma 24-60mm EX DG F2.8 some time ago, and I like it, but it does not give the wide end of the kit lens.

BTW, where can one get the Sigma 20-40mm f2.8, their web site says it's discontinued?

a200user is offline   Reply With Quote