Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Nov 25, 2010, 8:57 PM   #1
Default New Acquisition

Well over a year ago, I was looking for a DA 21 Ltd. I thought I had found one at a used lens site, bought it for a pretty good price and a FA 31 Ltd showed up (they send the lens in the thumbnail image with the matching s/n #). That has opened up a slightly different avenue for me in landscapes - I really like the lens and essentially what is not to like.

So while I was researching the 21 I had run in to a thread on comparing various 21's - with someone posting some extremely nice images from a Zeiss, which commands a very hefty price.

So earlier this week, I ran across an opportunity to acquire an older mint condition Carl Zeiss Distagon 28mm f2.8 T* lens in an old Contax MM (or Contax/Yashica C/Y) mount. I found a website that lays out how the mount can be changed to a K mount, along with parts. It appears that you are unable to stack the C/Y to M42 adapter on the M42 to K adapter, so some surgery is necessary.
After an evening of extended research on the lens - the Contax line is suppose to be on par with best lenses from Leica, at least equal to the current Zeiss lens line, and Pentax's own FA Limited, I decided what the heck and picked up the lens yesterday. Then last night ordered the K mount conversion kit from Germany. It will still be a manual lens, but for the price, its a way to see the "Zeiss" look and color rendering, at a somewhat affordable price.
I have the lens sitting here on the desk - probably 30 years old, mint condition, wonderful build, equal to Pentax's FA Limited, perfect pristine glass, not even a spec of dust, nor mark on the body.

The new Zeiss lenses is newer and faster - f2, but the Pentax mount was just announced as being discontinued, and its $1,228 Hugh ding to the checkbook (and its still a manual lens).
So right now it looks like the damage will be a bit over $400 when its all said and done.

I figure that it will be a couple of weeks until I have a usable lens, but I have some high expectations now. Between this CZ 28 and the 31 Ltd, both with some wonderful pedigrees, I want to see how sharp each of them are and what the differences in color rendering is. So, when I get everything setup, I think a road trip up to Sedona will be in order.

Last edited by interested_observer; Nov 25, 2010 at 9:10 PM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:08 PM   #2

Looking forward to the pics!
Big Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2010, 3:31 PM   #3

Wow - good luck with the "surgery". I'll check back for some pictures, too.

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:34 AM   #4

The mount parts are coming from Spain. I have to fly out on business tomorrow, and will be back in a week, so hopefully they will be in by then. Then I need to send the lens off to get it converted, so still looking at a couple of weeks.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote