Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:25 PM   #11

One final thing, Harriet... I don't believe you have said if all of the images in question were taken with the K-5. Have you tried the 12-24 on your other Pentax body? If not, add this step to your decentering tests. I'm really interested in finding out the results.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 2:18 PM   #12

I've done comparisons between the K5 and K7. In the pictures I posted, the first couple of ones were with the K7, and the last set I took (not posted) were with both cameras (and I used the DA 10-17 for some lens comparisons, too). I was shooting distant objects at different distances and the side-to-side comparisons were too inconclusive. Since I'm now thinking decentered rather than infinity focus, I need to do Scott's test.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 4:12 PM   #13

Sorry to hear about your 12-24. My 16-45 has developed bad focusing gears, that I need to get replaced - so its a manual focus lens till then. The shots look good to me, but right now just about anything would look good since I have not been shooting in the last couple months - just working 12-15 hours a day - and weekends, trying to get a project delivered and out the door. I took today off and am going shooting up north later this afternoon - the last 2 days have had great sunsets with the clouds - but today is crystal clear - warm and sunny.

I have been putting a lot of faith in the older screwdrive system as opposed to the SDM focusing system - so I find that even the more mechanical based lenses have some problems from time to time.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2011, 10:55 AM   #14
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Sorry to hear about your troubles as well.

Its too bad that Pentax does not offer a competitive warranty on their lenses such as:
Sigma- 4 years
Tamron-6 years
Nikon - 5 years

It is frustrating when equipment malfunctions during what should be its normal life.

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote