Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 26, 2011, 2:37 PM   #1
Default Pentax 10-17 Fisheye on 35mm Film Body?

Has anyone put the Pentax 10-17mm Fisheye lens on a 35mm Film Pentax Body and shot with it?

I tried slipping it on my old Pentax Super Program and looked through the viewfinder and at 10mm, horizontally the circular image fits on the screen, but vertically it gets clipped just a bit at the bottom, which might not be an issue if the viewfinder isn't 100% coverage or I can edit the final image a bit.

But unfortunately my Pentax Super Program has something wrong with its electronics so I can't test it out.

Just wondering . . .

1) Is there anyone out there that has tried this out?

2) Is there any concern about the mirror (or anything inside an old camera) hitting the rear element on the Fisheye lens.

I'm kinda figuring that if this will work, I need a body that can control the aperture, since there is no aperture ring on the lens.

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated!

Take care,
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2011, 4:45 PM   #2

Afternoon Glen,

The Pentax 10-17 and the Tokina version are essentially the same lens. I have read some items on the Tokina being used on a full frame camera in the past, so I went hunting...

You may encounter two problems 1) some vignetting and 2) interference from the "lens hood".
You should be able to find a Pentax film body that will handle the aperture for a quite reasonable price - I see prices of $20 to $100 (some even with a lens)..
Craigslist always has a lot of older film bodies...
I have never read anything about this lens having any interference with the mirror, but then Pentax does not have any full frame cameras other than film bodies....

... hope that helps

Last edited by interested_observer; Feb 26, 2011 at 4:53 PM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote