Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 11, 2011, 5:18 PM   #11

It is pretty new, here is an amazon form adorama.

Originally Posted by lin7604 View Post
how come when i looked that one up it always shows for canon?
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 5:47 PM   #12

Originally Posted by lin7604 View Post
i got the kit when i purchased my Pentax k-x in the fall ( 18-55 and 55-300). I would really love to get a lens that is in between what i have for a all around daily lens. what would you suggest and where can i get them.. it seems none of my local stores carry any....
Hi lin,

My suggestion would be to download a program that can analyze your preferences for Focal Length and camera settings (aperture, shutter speed, and ISO) from the exif in your shots from the two kit lenses.

If you're a Windows user, ExposurePlot is a free program that can do this.

The results you get can be surprising.

Armed with this information, you might be able to nail down a range where there's a lens that covers your most used FLs and can possibly improve your ability to take the shots you have chosen in the past.

For example, Let's say that most of the shots that you've taken have been from 30-70mm, and your shutter speeds are below 1/100, ISO at 3200-6400, and apertures have been from f3.5-4. This would indicate that you shoot "normal to short tele", probably people, and in relatively low light situations. A close match that would help you in two directions would be a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 constant. It covers the range with a little to spare, and has additional light gathering which you could use to increase shutter speed, lower ISO, or gain even better DOF control.

Each person has their own perspective in what they like to shoot, and though you might find that others share this perspective, you might find that you don't share with too many, so the advice of others about the "perfect" all around lens might not really apply. Nothing wrong with the latter -- I shoot at 300mm-700mm over 90% of the time, but I have lenses that cover 10mm Fisheye to 500mm with no gaps in FLs. The closest to an ideal lightweight walkaround lens for me is probably the DA 55-300, with the Pentax/Tamron 18-250 f3.5-6.3 a close second if I anticipated needing the wide end.

Another wide to short tele alternative would be the Sigma 17-70. I have the old version that is f2.8-f4.5 and uses screw drive AF. The new version is f2.8-4 and has a quiet HSM in-lens focusing motor. Personally, I have no objection to screw drive lenses as the sound doesn't bother me, but this might be an issue for you, and if so, make it a consideration in your choice of lenses.

In any event, make an intelligent choice accord to your needs. Think about which of the two kit lenses you tend to use more, and if you've ever wished that you could include more in the shot than you can get with 18mm, or reach closer than the magnification at 300mm. Also consider if you've ever wished that the lens you were using could focus closer at a given magnification, and if so, consider minimum focusing distance in your deliberations.

This all sounds intimidating, but determining the best lens for your use is so highly personal, that you really have to do some thinking to get the best lens for the way you intend on using it.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm just trying to be objective. . .

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote