Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old May 11, 2011, 7:48 PM   #1
Default Sigma 50-500 OS vs Sigma 120-400 OS vs Sigma 50-500 (no OS)

Hello -

I am looking for a new lens with more reach than my current 300mm DA. I am packing the K-r. I have been looking into the lenses in the subject line and I was looking for comparisons, personal experience and any info that will help me come to a decision.

I know that there is a 150-500mm in this range too, but I think that one is like 1.5-2.0 inches longer than the ones mentioned above, and about the same weight as the current 50-500mm. While money is an object I have the budget for any one of these...

I am willing to take suggestions outside my scope, and willing to spend more if the bang is worth it.

Let me know if you have any input and I thank everyone in advance for their links, direction and thoughts.

mackloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2011, 12:51 AM   #2

With all the lenses you have under consideration. You will be shooting off a tripod allot so OS is not that important, unless you plan on using them handheld at times, the OS is a must have with that much FL.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 9:02 PM   #3

I have no first-hand experience with any of those lenses, but I have read that the Sigma 150-500 has very good optics. If that's true then I would be willing to put up with the extra 1.5 - 2 inches. Keep in mind that all these lenses are already very large and bulky.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2011, 6:03 PM   #4

From a Tripod I like the 50-500. Don't know that it is sharper than the 150-500 but it does have more range.
Big Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:44 PM   #5

I've tried the Sigma 150-500 on a Nikon body and liked it quite a bit. The optics are quite good. And it is a substantial bit of kit - it's size and weight may put off some people. That didn't really bother me. But, at $1,000, I won't be picking one up soon.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote