Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Default MF 300mm recommendations

Early in the year I finally got an AFA which is now glued to my KX unless I need the kit lens for landscape shots. Most of the time I have my old Tamron SP 80-200/2.8 paired with it but a little more reach would be nice. For tripod work I have my Tamron 200-500/5.6 which gives me plenty of reach but it's not really a walk around lens. I have tried using my old Vivtar 70-300 lens with it and while it works fairly well it's too slow for most of what i do (as is my Tokina 400/5.6). I was thinking of a 300/4 as an ideal solution, not so large as a 300/2.8 but still fast enough to allow me to shoot hand held. Any thoughts on which one(s) I should be looking for? Many thanks for any and all help.

jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:34 AM   #2

The A*300 is an awesome lens, and reasonably small and light for a lens in this class. It's quite a bit smaller than the DA 300. I still use mine on occasion when I want something small. It isn't quite as good as the DA, but the differences are small, and it's noticeably better than the DA55-300. That would be my recommendation since you retain the auto exposure capabilities.

Has anyone tried the DA 300 with the AFA? That might be another idea wig it would work - without the TC you would have an AF lens and then use the TC AF when you use it. The fact the lens wouldn't be able to focus with the TC becomes less of a problem.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote