Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 7, 2012, 7:18 PM   #1
Default Inherited some old lenses..any to save?

My grandfather just moved and found a box of lenses / cameras and he gave it to me. To my fortune it was m42 lenses atleast most of them and some konica lenses.

is any of them any good? i haven't got my m42 adapter yet so can't try them out, but some of the are very bright and I love low light photography so I guess they will be nice to try out. The big lenses I think aren't worth it, got a 55-300 and these are very dirty so would need disassebling i assume.
the cameras i guess is just to sell if someone want them?

How about the konica lenses, are there any adapters around? i have read that the mount is similar but the "flange?" is different so it wont work even with adapter. Is that correct?
Attached Images
Shooting with a:
Sony NEX F3
Sony 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 OSS
SMC Takumar 50mm/f1.4 (manual)
"unknown" 35mm/f1.8 (manual)
CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:37 PM   #2

Well, here is some information on the lenses I could find. The first 3 are keepers. The SMC Tak is well regarded. The other two do not have a lot of information, however there have been some good comments on them. I would make the same post over at the Pentax Forums - as they have a number of folks who use these and can provide more information on them.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 2:49 AM   #3

No Comments on the lenses, but you will need to shoot in manual modes.

This link will be helpful ... Jack

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:19 AM   #4

I've heard amazing things about the Meyer Optik one. From my limited knowledge, this is in the same time-period/quality as mid-late (60's-80s) century Zeiss. I think you'd have to do a bit more research on it but from what I've read I would definitely love to check it out.

The Takumar 1.4 is an amazing lens. I would rate it higher than the pentax 1.4 on sharpness. I owned the Takumar 1.4 / pentax 1.4 / Zeiss 1.8 / pentacon 1.4 / a few other off brand 1.4's or equivalent low light fast primes. The one I kept was the Zeiss Pentacolar 1.8 as the bokeh was just stunning. I kept my Takumar 1.4 for a long time just because it was such a great lens. I sold it but I must say, in my opinion, it inched out the pentax 1.4 version and trumped everythign else by a good bit.

I would definitely keep the tak 1.4 if you don't already have a nice 50, and even if you do, its well worth the price of adapter to do some side-by-side comparisons just to see if you like to work with it more.

I used to do quite a bit of lens trading/buying/selling just to get a solid understanding of what I liked and didn't like in a lens.

With that beign said, I haven't ever used a Tokina I didn't like. THey were always very sharp and great value lenses.

I didn't keep any just because I downgraded my kit to about 8 lenses but if they cover any holes in your focal range, it would be well worth checking them out.

I'm jealous! Free lenses are hard to come by - especially when its a bunch of good finds like these.

p.s. I know nothing of the hexanon but if you get around to it, share us your review!

Last edited by NMRecording; Aug 14, 2012 at 11:22 AM.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote