Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:59 PM   #1

Default 70-200mm Lenses Need Advice From Current Users

Seriously looking to get a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens for my Perntax K-5. Is there anyone here who has or has used any off the available 70-200mm with their K-5 or other recent Pentax Digital SLRs? I believe at this time only sigma and Tamron make ones for the Pentax K mount. I have a limited budget of $1000 to spend on the lens and waiting a few months won't increase that number. The Sigma is out of my range in terms of price and the Tamron seems to have issue with focusing in low light according to the reviews at bhphotovideo and newegg and hunts in low light. But I won't know what people here feel about them who have them or have used them.

Would be used in low light to shoot football, basketball and in semi-low light for baseball. Would have a need to use it in lower speed burst mode so it need to work fast and focus fast. I already own the Sigma 18-250mm, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 and a 50mm 1.4. I love all 3 lenses. The sigma is a great all around photo-jouralism lens for my newspaper work at government meetings and breaking news etc but not great in low light; the Tamrom is great as a general lense when I can get close but not long enough for sports work.

Any and all comments welcome from those who have or have used a 70-200mm on a Pentax.

Also want to throw this out most of my sports photos I have been taking are in the 50mm-210mm range of my Sigma 18-250mm lens. Was hoping someone made a 50 or 55-200mm f/2.8 but yet to see one for the Pentax. I do find I use the 50-70mm range as much as the 70-210mm range. But I figured if I adjust my position a 70-200mm can work......

Thanks in advance for the help

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:54 AM   #2

If your budget is limited you could try and find an older, non OS version of the Sigma 70-200/2.8 I have seen them on ebay for about $750.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2012, 1:25 PM   #3

John:

never thought of that. Pentax does have in body satblized option

dave
Old Oct 18, 2012, 9:18 PM   #4

My needs were/are so different than yours are that I can't really give you any advice. I looked at the Tamron and really liked the photos I've seen from it came close to buying it), but ended up buying the Pentax DA*200 f2.8. I am very happy with my choice, but I don't think it would work for you since you really need a zoom. I never shoot sports and rarely do any really low-light photography. Good luck with your choice, I think that if you can't afford the current Sigma, then an older one would be a good choice.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 1:26 PM   #5

Good honest advice. Thanks

dave
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:44 AM   #6

I have the Sigma 70-200 2.8 and use it for middle/high school sports (Soccer, Football, and Cross Country) all the time. I've had it for about 1.5 years and I believe it was about $900 (new)when I purchased. However the price has continued to rise and I believe it is around $1300 now. Used may be a great idea as previously mentioned.

I have been very impressed with the results. I am not as dedicated of a photographer as many here, and struggle with light even when shooting during the day. The 2.8 has resolved that issue. I would say this lens is my primary lens as school sports photography is about all I have time for these days.

You can rent lenses (I'm not affiliated with any lens rental company) if you were interested in trying before buying. I don't think the rental prices were too bad considering the $$$ you're going to spend on the lens, even if used.

Last edited by Osnap65; Oct 25, 2012 at 12:06 PM.
Osnap65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 3:47 PM   #7

Default contact?

I think that there's a member you might want to contact. His screen name is danielchtong

I think he's a Pentax shooter and I've read several compliments on his work from members who know their stuff.

He may have some insights for you.

FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 3:54 PM   #8

Default Here's the link

Santa Parade Toronto Nov 16

The link above will take you to one of the first times I saw daniechtong's work.

In these photos he was using his 70-200 pentax lens.

FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:01 PM   #9

I believe you're mistaking see below:

Quote:
Just curious - what camera and lens did you use, Daniel?
Pentax K20D & DA200mmF2.8
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:38 PM   #10

Thanks to everyone for the advise and replies

dave