Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:57 AM   #1

Default Simga 17-70mm for Pentax Issue Resolved

Recently I purchased a new Sigma 17-70mm for use on my K-5/K-5ii. When I received it I was not able to get usable images unless the camera was set at ISO3200 and shutter was in area of 1/30-1/40th second. Cleaning image sensor with bulb blower didn't help much. After some time I found a strange fix for the problem -- turn the in camera body Image Stabilizer off. Once I did that the lens worked perfectly.

Posting in case this can help someone else.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:15 AM   #2

TCav followed up with this message to me and I want to st it here. May be an issue with the lens I will contact Sigma and report back

From TCav-- I just checked with the Sigma website. It says there that the 17-70 doesn't have OS for the Sony and Pentax mount. Something doesn't sound right. Did you check with Sigma?
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:51 AM   #3

I called Sigma I had to hang up on them the first time and call back got some guy who couldn't speak English. Then got a women second time. She was very smart, said sounds like focusing motor is messed up in the lens she is gonna e-mail me a pre-paid label to send it direct to them to look at and if its bad they will send me a new one. And she confirmed they leave the Image Stabilization Mode out so their are not optical focus issues with this lens
Old Jul 6, 2013, 12:59 PM   #4

It does sound like there's something wrong with the electronics of the lens, think that sending it back for replacement makes the most sense.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2013, 11:08 AM   #5

Sigma came through with an e-mail in less than 3 hours with a pre-paid shipping label for me to send the lens back to the them; they told e not to send it back to the person/shop that sold it to me. Will be mailed out tomorrow.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 12:19 PM   #6

Good to hear. My understanding is that while Sigma has issues with QC out of the factory they are very good at fixing them for the user. Just a bit of a pain.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 6:01 PM   #7

It's been suggested that Sigma hasn't purchased licensing rights from the OEMs to make their lenses completely compatible with the now universally chipped lenses from the camera makers. The fact that exif usually misreports the lens model used seems to confirm this. It could be that the chip they used in the lens was totally inappropriate for the FL range of the lens and this made the SR system go wonky.

Both of the Sigma lenses that I use with my 1.7x AFA report incorrect aperture values throughout the range, so other anomalous behavior is no real surprise to me.

As long as they take care of the problem, I'd be satisfied.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:52 AM   #8

Quick update sigma e-mailed me saying they looked at the lens and it does have motor focusing issues. They said they will be dealing with the issue today and will report back
Old Jul 18, 2013, 7:15 PM   #9

Well they are replacing the motor focus drive in the lens ans will send the lense back to me. Will be shipped no later than Monday morning.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 2:17 PM   #10

That's quick service! Glad to hear that Sigma is supporting the lens and responding quickly to your problem.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote