Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Q

Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:04 PM   #1
Default DXOMark posts scores for the Q. . .

. . . and it scored an overall 47, which is equal to the scores for the bodies that use the slightly larger 1/1.7" and 1/63" CCD sensors in the Canon G12/S95 and Panasonic LX5 respectively.

They mention that the Q shows some smoothing throughout the ISO range, but they estimated the noise levels before smoothing to score the sensor.

They also mention the high price of the Q, but for my purposes, the main advantage of the Q is the ability to use my K mount lenses to go way beyond what I can get out of them with my DSLR bodies for telephoto and macro use. For me, the price differential over the other advanced compact fixed lens cameras is more than justified as the $300 differential is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of a single fast ultra tele lens. . . and I still get a compact with comparable sensor and considerably better user interface for the times when I want one. . .

Looks like Pentax engineers made the right choice (for now, at least) in choosing the BSI 1/2.3" CMOS sensor for the Q initially.

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2011, 9:19 AM   #2

Respectable. Nice to see that the quality is there, so many people have dismissed it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote