Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Q

Old Jul 9, 2013, 5:46 PM   #1

Default Fanotech tripod foot for Pentax K2Q adapter or DA* long teles

Hi All,

Fanotech, in response to Q users on PF, has designed and is now manufacturing a tripod foot that fits the Pentax K2Q adapter as well as the DA* 300 and DA* 60-250.

It's available with an Arca Swiss compatible plate or as a clamp alone for use with other QR systems.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...apter-q-k.html

Alone, the clamp is available for $35 + $7 shipping, and with a 70mm Arca plate, it's $65 + $10 shipping for a limited time.

Pentax has the OEM tripod foot for their K2Q adapter available from the Pentax store for $89.95 + shipping.

http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/product/41132

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:28 PM   #2

I really liked the looks of the fanotech - looks to be well designed and I thought it was neat that it was modular, so you could configure it a couple of ways. I'd probably buy one if I didn't already have the DA300 and it's tripod mount. I also have a RRS plate for it - all of which cost a lot more than the fanotech.

Are you going to get one, Scott?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 1:43 AM   #3

Hi Harriet,

If I had a DA* 300 or 60-250, I probably wouldn't bother but I don't have either and the Fanotech offers me some advantages.

Already PM'd Fanotech via the PF Marketplace. As soon as he responds with payment methods, I'll place the order.

The downside of this tripod foot is that it cannot rotate when used with the Pentax K2Q adapter. For use with my Wimberley Sidekick, it forces the camera in portrait orientation only, and I usually shoot in landscape about 90% of the time.

I've already modified some existing accessory tripod rings to fit around the Pentax OEM Adapter, and even gotten some long plates, connectors and clamps to fashion a horizontal arm to attach to the Sidekick to allow me to shoot landscape with the Fanotech foot if I want.

Also, with the modified rings, the thickness of the ring around the adapter interferes with mounting a Red Dot sight securely in the flash shoe. I've worked around this by using a Pentax F hotshoe adapter that raises the tripod foot, but this also introduces more parallax error, so makes the sight less accurate over a range of distances.

Of course, with just a ballhead, the Fanotech will work fine all by itself, and that's primarily why I'm getting it. The modified rings are a bit fiddly to mount on the adapter and this one is very quick, easy and compact for packing. I like having as many options for use as possible, so this works for me. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote