Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:12 AM   #11

What can I say but WOW! These are all fantastic shots, lovely DOF on the butterflies, nice and sharp and the heron pose in the first one is just great.

Can you let us know what lens you used please? I always like to know that when looking at pics.

alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:37 AM   #12

fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:13 AM   #13

Wow, those are ALL such great shots. If I had to pick favorites I would go with the bee, it is an amazing macro. But your nephew on the slide made for a great candid too. It does look like you had a great weekend.

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:06 AM   #14

Thanks for the comments. I used three different lenses for all these shots. The bee and two butterfly shots were with the Promaster 70-300 macro lens, the shot of my nephew was with the kit lens and the two heron shots were with this $250 Vivitar 600-1000 f9-f16 I bought a little more than a year ago. That last lens needs a T-mount to mount to the camera and it needs broad daylight to get anywhere near enough light to use. It's long, but it's light and very shaky when handholding, it's really designed to be mounted on a tripod, but The sun was high enough and bright enough I was getting 1/2000 and 1/3000 shutter speeds on aperture priority. It's also a maunal focus lens, so you have to be ready. I really did get pretty lucky with the heron because I had been focused on an egret in the background just before shifting to the heron. I shifted to the heron, focused and hit the shutter button as he crouched to take off, then followed him as best I could and held the shutter button down (I was in burst mode) for two more frames. I don't pull the Vivitar out very often, it's big and clunky, but I've had good luck when I have pulled it out, especialy with water birds. I shot the picture below a couple of months ago. With the fall migration coming up, I might be using it a bit more.
Attached Images
jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 4:20 PM   #15

Great shots, jhacker! I thought I noticed that you had changed your avatar on the thread... now I see why you did! The DOF on the bee & butterflies are excellent. Nice shot of your nephew but my fav is the 2nd heron. The definition really jumps out! Is it nice to get lucky every once in a while!

wadue is offline   Reply With Quote