Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 11, 2006, 1:12 PM   #11

Foxbat121 wrote:
Never used Auto myself. I like to manually tweak it even in Adobe Lightroom. Auto just does not make sense when you use RAW.
I like the convenience of JPEG, but they're a tad soft on the *istDS. RAW converted images using PPL v2 (not v2-1 or even v3) have 99.9% of the time the colour rendition of JPEG but with added sharpness that give them some bit.

Using RAW, I can always 'fine tune' any that don't come up the scratch which is fine for the odd few, but I wouldn't want to spend hours manually processing hundreds of images.

Also. if you make a mistake, then it's easier to redress the problem with a RAW formatted image.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 1:32 PM   #12

PPL v2 that comes with my DL is not that good. However, V3 really gives me better details, less noise and smoother photo. Besides, I can now also addjust/compensate barrel distortion, vignetting, lens shift etc. It is really helpful especially when you processing photos taken with kit lens @ 18mm.

Like I said above, I don't use Auto processing. I always tweak exposure a little bit and adjust tone curve as my basic tweaking. Lightroom is much better in this regard when you batch process hundreds of photos. However, somehow the photos generated by Lightroom (the Lightroom beta version for Window) always contains artifacts and excessive noise compared to what PPL V3 generates. What I ended up doing now is using Lightroom to do first round of batch processing and use PPL3 to do selective processing.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 3:01 PM   #13

Use whatever RAW converter is your preference.

I started thisthreadto highlight the potentail advantages of using RAW and how problems can be more easily resolved than if JPEG had been used.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 3:09 PM   #14

robar wrote:
try this
make a dark image
1) Copy the dark image and paste it over the bright one. This will automatically create a new layer in photoshop.
2) Select the dark (top) layer and create a new layer mask (this is done by hitting the button that has a circle within a square in the layers palette). A small white rectangle will appear next to the layer 1(dark) icon in the layers palette
3) Now select the backgrround (bright) layer; select all the contents and copy them.
4) Alt-click on the white square representing the layer mask, right next to the layer 1 icon. This should make the whole document white.
5) Paste. You should see your background image in black and white.
6) Filter -> Gaussian Blur -> 40 pixels.
7) Click on the background layer, and voilá! Flatten image and save.

edit: i try not to go much more that 2 stops between the two i'm using..

Cheers Roy. Works a treat.

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote